When do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Hers's the real question....

Does a new filter and keeping filter changed religiously at say 10-15k miles actually CAUSE MORE collection of throttle body grime, MAF grime and silica in the oil??

Yes that's what I believe

Changing filter every 20k miles or so.
I believe the new and clean filter is better for the engine than the old and dirty one. Not really buying those claims that the dirtier the better.

Who knows what can happen over time: the rubber seal losing its properties, tears in the filter media, water damage... the pressure indicator wouldn't show it.

Originally Posted By: akela
I believe the new and clean filter is better for the engine than the old and dirty one. Not really buying those claims that the dirtier the better.

But is there any science to support that theory?

Quote:
Who knows what can happen over time: the rubber seal losing its properties, tears in the filter media, water damage... the pressure indicator wouldn't show it.

The first 2 problems will never happen with any halfway decent filter. The last is an issue that should never occur, and can destroy your engine under any circumstances or FCI.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

well, the very basic science tells me that during those 20k miles, the air filter passes through itself about 50,000 cubic meters of air. It's, like, a lot.

And the common sense tells me that it quite possible that the little abrasive particles, going through tiny pores in the paper with high speed, wouldn't necessary plug them, but may also widen them.

On the other hand, I believe that the brand-new filter is already doing its job properly, and it doesn't need an improvement provided by the thick layer of dirt and dust and dead insects.

well, the very basic science tells me that during those 20k miles, the air filter passes through itself about 50,000 cubic meters of air. It's, like, a lot.

And the common sense tells me that it quite possible that the little abrasive particles, going through tiny pores in the paper with high speed, wouldn't necessary plug them, but may also widen them.

On the other hand, I believe that the brand-new filter is already doing its job properly, and it doesn't need an improvement provided by the thick layer of dirt and dust and dead insects.

EXACTLY! b/c science!
That's why I change mine at every gas fill up!
And I also change my underwear after every [censored]!

Can't be too clean, right?

/sarcasm

Originally Posted By: surfstar
EXACTLY! b/c science!
That's why I change mine at every gas fill up!
And I also change my underwear after every [censored]!

Can't be too clean, right?

/sarcasm

well, at least I've tried to be rational here.

I like your perspective. I never really thought of the dust/dirt/sand widening the pores. But all the same, I agree with air filters staying in no longer than the book states. Even then, the book will show for changes more often when in dusty conditions.

Sorry the Cali dude heckled ya!

motor will stop if it gets too restricted with dirt, mine is going on 38k but not real dusty here other than salt dust.

I change mine every year in my personal vehicles that really hardly ever see off road. It sometimes is a waste because they still look new. Still it's good to change it once a year just make sure mice didn't move in. Company truck every three months, and its nasty. Depends ALOT on conditions.

Unless you live in an extremely dirty environment or near an ocean or Hazzard County, replacing the air filter every year is probably overkill and a waste of money. I average about 20,000-30,000 and two years before I need to replace mine.

There is no real "etched in stone" answer. It entirely depends on where you drive. I drive mostly paved roads with some dirt and gravel in a rural area. I like to change it in early Spring if needed before the farmers go out to the fields. I check mine every time I change the oil filter. I go 5,000 miles on the oil and then do an oil filter replacement and top off the oil. After another 5,000 miles, I do a full oil change.

I like the square air filters which sit in a housing. Here is what I do:
  • Take the top of the housing off and look at the back of the filter as it sits there and the gasket for it without removing it. If it is dirty on the back or the gasket is bad then it is time to replace it. If not then I continue my inspection.
  • Look at the inside of the hose going to the intake for dust getting by the air filter. I stick a clean paper towel in it to verify. If it is dirty then it is time to replace it. If not then I continue my inspection.
  • Take the air filter out to look at the front of it. If it is not really gunky with black/brown junk or bugs, I shake it off carefully and stick it back in. If it has a lot of blackness or brownness and dirt in it then I replace it.

If my cars run funny or rough, I usually check the air filter first.

Speaking of farmers and dirt, if I am coming up on a big cloud of dirt hanging in the air, I speed up a little and then put the car in neutral and not give it any gas before I go through the dirt cloud. It helps make the air filters last longer instead of staying on the gas as you go through the dirt cloud and the air intake sucks all that dirty air in.

If you are behind someone on a dirt or gravel road and there is a lot of dust in the air, hang back from them in the clear air.

If someone is coming towards you kicking up a lot of dust, there is not much you can do.

Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
Why does living near the ocean matter? Just curious because the ocean is very near me

Sand/Salt in the air usually during bad weather from what I have read.

I'll post some pics of my air filter when I change it out in April. I should have around 90k miles on it by then. Changing it out because of time, not restriction.

ROD

I ordered a couple of Wix 24081 "Air Filter Minders" from Amazon to install on the 2004 Chevy Blazer 4.3L and on a 2003 S-10 4.3L I am ripping a K&N Un-Cold Air Intake system out of and putting the stock system back into.

This video is a promo for the Filter Minder, but it is also educational on air filters in general, is interesting, and pertains to the subject of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRNtYBgrf4

I started doing mine every year which is roughly 15000 miles. I also clean the MAF sensor.

The ping I was chasing disappeared just as soon as I changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor.

I am now a believer in changing it more frequently than Ford says.

The maintenance schedule does not even mention the MAF sensor.

Where I live we only get around 1-2 winter storms where it reaches freak out level. However, after the roads have been salted and sanded they stay there until March arrives so the roads tend to get pretty dusty. I change mine out after heavy Spring rains.

I was just wondering if you were going to use some facts to disagree with the best air filter manufacturers in the business. I see that you aren't.

Hello, I love threads like these even though they can be a bit tiring due to lack of facts.

I was wondering why we don't have a jig which can hold filters in a manner whereby air with varying amounts and sizes of dirt can be sucked through them.
Surely "scientists" can measure restrictions better than the spring in the cheap plastic gauge people keep alluding to.

WHAT I THINK:
1) Air cleaner housings use a zone of reduced air velocity to precipitate a lot of dirt before the airflow even reaches the filter element.

2) I believe the days of "gooey, black, oily deposits" are all but over. I'd love to know which vehicles/engines goo-up their air filters.

3) I go with an approximate 30K air filter change interval (the original question) after Spring rains clear the salt. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back