What paper engine air filter do YOU recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter will be for my 2013 Acura TL. I ran the Acura OEM to 18,000 miles and ran a K&N drop in air filter to 23,000. The anti K&N folks have beaten me into submission and I'm going to pull it this week. I live in Southern California and although the temperatures reach 100 degrees, it is not very dusty. My intention is to run this car to 200K miles and I need it to last that long, which is why I am so concerned with the quality of clean air this engine will receive. What paper engine air filter element do YOU recommend and why?

if you are someone who gets worried use oem if you are worried about loss of air, change more frequently

I see Denso, Hastings, Mahle, Fram, and Wix available for your car on Rock Auto. I'd use any of these without hesitation.

I would also have no problems picking one up from the dealer.

Fram Toughguard or Wix/Napa Gold for paper media or OEM if it uses a special media (ie: toyota's cotton media or nissan's oiled paper media.)

Are the Acura OEM filters oiled? Before I threw my factory filter out, I didn't bother to look?

It appears that there are a lot of folks that prefer the Wix/Napa Gold air filters. There are a few different resellers in the area that I can get those filters from.

Does anyone have formal documentation to which brands have better filtration capabilities?

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I like Wix/NAPA Gold.
This. My 2010 FX4 saw a significant reduction in silicon by switching from MC filters to NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
The anti K&N folks have beaten me into submission and I'm going to pull it this week.

Unless I saw a high silicone number I wouldn't remove anything. I have a Spectre filter on my CTS-V, which is a practically a K&N knock off, my Silicone numbers are 30% below average.

I just find whatever brand name is least expensive, and change it every 20,000 or 30,000 miles. I don't have to worry about clean/oiling or the potential pitfalls of either, nor do I worry about silicone numbers (I don't waste money on UOAs).

I have a spectre k&n knock off on the Camry in my Sig. Car runs normal. I would leave the k&n and clean it every 50-60k miles

The Mopar filters are the only ones I've seen with the direction of installation and flow rate printed right on the filter.

Fram or Wix/Napa Gold. The ones for my cars, anyway, have very soft gaskets that seal well. Plus, plenty of pleats.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Fram or Wix/Napa Gold. The ones for my cars, anyway, have very soft gaskets that seal well. Plus, plenty of pleats.
Yah that perfectly describes the STP filters I use. My interval is to make it part of the baseline process.Then include it in the 60K timing belt refresh. I have a friend who is closing on 600k in his 85 535i. He knocks the filter against the bottom of his shoe every so often.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back