2004 Phaeton recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I understand that I do not "need" manufacturer's approvals, but they are there for a reason. I do see that there is a Quaker State 5w40 that carries LL01. Part of the reason I like Mobil 1 0w40 is that it carries certifications and performs well in all of my vehicles.

Would the Royal Purple be any better for my planned use/mileage? That's what I am here to ascertain.

M1 0W40 can be used in almost all German engines, Porsche or MB AMG or other high performance German engines, except may be some BMW M sport engines that needs 10W60.

It is available almost any part store, Walmart included, at reasonable price of around $26 5-qt jug. No reason to use other brands, except Castrol Edge 0W40.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

I am a fan of the W12. The acceleration is smooth and brisk, but the sound of The V8 simply cannot be beat.

Flat plane crank

The 4.2 40v has a conventional cross-plane crankshaft, AFAIK.

Oh, I though the Phaeton had the VW W8. But you are right, it has the Audi 4.2. Good luck with that engine OP.

Also, Mobil 1 Ow40 > Quaker State. Especially for this 4.2 with 40 valves and tendency to get oil past them.

Would the Royal Purple be any better for my planned use/mileage? That's what I am here to ascertain.

At 4-5000 mile annual interval, any oil will do. I'd just stick with M1 0w40. Its readily available and at a great price. You cant beat that!

Last edited:
I'll be back home in less than two weeks now. My wife and I have a trip to Asheville for the weekend planned. Going to get some good beer, good food, and enjoy some time together.
wink.gif

It will also mean I get to stretch the Phaeton's legs on the highway!

Anything to do before I fire it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back