Power Steering Problems.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Honda Civic with a power steering leak issue. About ounce every 2 weeks I have to add fluid. I always add the expensive Honda fluid. At this point, I don't care. My mechanic friend put in the Lucas seal stuff? Do I have any hope?? I already hate the car as it already burns 1quart of oil every 4,000 miles!!

As DoubleWasp said, no, especially if the leak is on the high pressure side.

And a quart in 4,000 miles isn't bad at all? My car is more like 1 quart per 3,000 miles and I have no doubt it'll go 300k+ miles.

fix the leak, why do you hate the car? that was my first car, got it to 320k by 2010 and only did the oil changes(whenever I felt like it), finally the head gasket blew from lack of coolant/leakage.

It was a ridiculous reliable car and very low maintenance.

Last edited:
It has 180,000 miles on it. The last year I paid for: starter, brakes, brake lines (rusted away), tire rods, ect...God forbid I may have to take CTA transportation.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
It has 180,000 miles on it. The last year I paid for: starter, brakes, brake lines (rusted away), tire rods, ect...God forbid I may have to take CTA transportation.

I'm not seeing the problem. Sounds like normal wear & tear items to me.

Starter- $120
Brakes are wear and tear- $80
Brake lines rust away because you live in the heart of the rust belt
Tie rods- $60

So you've spent $260 in the last year on wear and tear and some money on rusty brake lines due to wear you live.

Sounds like a good car to me.

I had a 2004 VW Beetle TDI that needed a transmission, camshaft, A/C compressor, and a flywheel. About $8,000 in work needed. Now THATS a junky car.

Nick, I'm only qualified to change the fluids. I spent over $1,000 a yr in maintance on this dang car. At what point does it stop paying for a used car as opposed new a 2 yr old car????? Of course, I have high insurance due to 2 DUI's.

I have rebuilt that motor, its worn piston rings, run a high mileage 10w40, and your oil consumption should reduce(mine went from a quart in 2000 to none but your experience might be different), and change your PCV Valve, and that engine is SO EASY on oil, you could easily do the 7500 miles suggested by Honda, just monitor your oil levels, and add when it is near the bottom dot on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Nick, I'm only qualified to change the fluids. I spent over $1,000 a yr in maintance on this dang car. At what point does it stop paying for a used car as opposed new a 2 yr old car????? Of course, I have high insurance due to 2 DUI's.

Guess it depends on how many trouble free miles you have got out of it. We have had good luck with my wife's car, but this looks like the year we will have to put some money into it. But, since we plan to keep it a while longer, have to do it...

And be glad you don't live here then, Betting I pay more than you here in MI, even with your DUIs. And that it with all of the positives I had going here...Would hate to see what your insurnace would be here....

Complaining about a quart every 4k miles, and $1000 a year to maintain a 16 year old car? I'd say you're getting an itch to get out of that car that has little basis in its performance in service.

I go about 3500 after initial change before I add a qrt of syn. Motor is tight, clean and smooth. i spent a few grand on mine the last few years. 186k ,but no motor, trans, clutch or powersteering issues.

Depends where the leak is coming from. My old Ford had a leaking steering rack, I put some Nulon Power Steering Stop Leak in, and it did the job. 2 years later, I still haven't added any more PS fluid.

I had a clamp leak on the return side,and Lucas didn't even slow that down.Replacing the spring clamp with a real gear clamp solved the issue.The remaining Lucas is horrible in cold weather,makes steering very stiff until warmup.

Seriously??

1QT every 4000 miles is hardly excessive.

And $1000/year is cheap too!

You've got a car with 180,000 miles on it that's barely costing you anything!

But you're complaining...

Sheesh...

qwerty, just keep up checking levels and staying ahead of the minor leaks and keep driving. You may wanna check/ replace the brakelines pro actively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back