THIS is how to buy tires (if you have free time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lesson to learn from this thread is to never tell bitog you think you got a good deal. People won't stop until they dissuade you of that notion. I guess if you enjoy the abuse...
spankme2.gif

I stopped by Les Schwab since it was on my way today, and they said if installing shims is what's required, they do so and that Sears should do that if that's what's required to complete the alignment, despite it being extra work on their part. I'll take in to the local Sears in a few days to see what they say. Les Swchab said they charge $90 (same as Sears normal "6 month" alignment) but they would actually shim it to get it right.

Sooo... if Sears refuses to do it right, I may do a $40 chargeback on my credit card for an incomplete Sears alignment and have Les Schwab do it right, assuming it's actually wrong that is. Les Schwab does a "free alignment check" but if it comes back wrong, then they wanna charge you to fix it.

Be sure to call out Sears on their "4 wheel alignment"-- they will (now) say that nothing on the rear is adjustable. So, then, you ask, why couldn't you just get a front wheel job done for less?

Beware, this is your first fight with them, but they've likely had 100's of fights with customers.
27.gif

It wasn't that far out to begin with and it still isn't. Lesson learned and move on...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It wasn't that far out to begin with and it still isn't. Lesson learned and move on...

I can't seem to find definite specs for what it should be, unless this is right for 2003 also. 2004 is the closest I can find (the upper table for 2WD): http://workshop-manuals.com/pontiac/vibe...tins/page_4849/

Although according to that, it's still out of spec at negative 0.14 degrees; or anything negative for rear toe for that matter. It's supposed to be +0.26 degrees, +/- 0.26 degrees; so in other words between 0 to +0.52 degrees, with +0.26 being perfect; in the middle of the spectrum. So at -0.14 it's a fair bit out of spec.

The other end of the spectrum, if it was toed the other direction out of spec the same amount, would be +0.64; a difference of 0.38 degrees from "perfect" at +0.26 degrees.

The front tire on that same left side was badly worn (it was moved to the rear by me) so I wonder if that's why it was so badly worn, due to the back wheel on that same side being so out of spec.

I am probably going to end up finding another shop to do shim it and get it aligned properly. It only needs it on that one side, so it shouldn't be too expensive. Probably one hour labor + shim part.

I will check with a body shop that I had accident repairs done at in late 2014 on my last car. I'm sure they do alignments if they do general accident repairs. They would probably be up to high standards for alignments, doing insurance claim work. The work I had done with them was from being rear ended though, not front end work. But they did good work and seem to be an excellent shop. Plus it's not a chain like Sears, Les Schwab, etc. They aimed the headlights for me on that same last car for free when I took it there a while later after they did that rear end work. I was willing and ready to pay $20 but they said no charge.

Dealers and body shops are probably the best two choices. If they are similarly priced to Les Schwab and will shim it, I'll use them; being a mom and pop body shop who does great work and seems to be completely honest.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Be sure to call out Sears on their "4 wheel alignment"-- they will (now) say that nothing on the rear is adjustable. So, then, you ask, why couldn't you just get a front wheel job done for less?

Beware, this is your first fight with them, but they've likely had 100's of fights with customers.
27.gif

They basically won't even admit that anything can be done. They basically say nothing. Seriously. They are lazy and don't want to do it because their mile long contracts say it costs extra.... and they won't admit to the fact that they sent me on my way with a misaligned rear wheel without even giving me a choice in fixing it.

Most places are also willing to price match, negating needing to "shop around."

Sears Auto in my area is still a good company; I've bought a few sets of tires and done some service there. But of course, YourMileageDOESvary.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

27.gif

Probably because even if the rear wheels are not adjustable, most cars STILL need a thrust angle alignment!

Originally Posted By: Rylan
Sears Auto in my area is still a good company; I've bought a few sets of tires and done some service there. But of course, YourMileageDOESvary.

Sears is OK for tire mounting/balancing but that's about all from what I have seen. Maybe oil changes; but some are (or were?) Jiffy Lube branded.

Here it is-more "Looked at what I scored today posts" coming....

Meanwhile Sears continues to close stores. The company said it would speed up the pace of the closings in the next few months as it shutters at least 50 more. Store fleets have shriveled: Kmart is now down to 950 locations from 1,309 just five years ago, while Sears’ namesake department stores now number 708, from 868 in 2011.

Link-
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sears-closing-least-50-more-131422348.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back