Inner Tie-rod removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Have a 2003 Lexus RX300. Inner tie-rod is bad and needs R&R. Looked at service manual and advises the end of steering rack be held on with a wrench while loosening the tie-rod end.

Granted, they also show the entire rack housing being removed and have easy access to the rack itself. Most vids I have seen just spin off the tie-rod without holding onto the rack (not the rack housing)itself.

Should I be concerned about the wrench holding down the rack? Has anyone done this repair successfully on this specific vehicle without the wrench?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Sawdusted

Yes. I never hold the rack. Like you said it's impossible to support it in 99% of cars.

Is there a chance you could tweak the rack and/or cause a leak? Yes. But I've never had it happen.

If you can, use a tie rod tool that takes a square drive and impact it off. Better than winding up the rack.

Either way, try to have the side you're working on only as far extended as you need it. This helps to support it.

Make sure you clear any locking devices. I believe some Toyotas have the lock washers you need to bend back and/or roll pins.

Last edited:
No need to hold the rack.

Rent the inner tie rod removal tool from the auto parts store. They rent them for free, you leave a deposit and then get it back when you return the tool.

fk6w47.jpg

Also, on many Toyota racks look for a washer that has been bent where the inner tie rod threads on. That washer might need to be bent back out flat before you can start unscrewing it. Make sure to use a screwdriver and a hammer on the new one to smash the edge over. This prevents the inner tie rod from coming loose on you while driving.

Thanks guys, yes, my rack has a bent washer to prevent it from loosening. probably wouldn't hurt to put blue loctite too
wink.gif

Will rent the remover from my nearby part store.

Cheers.

Sometimes like on my cousins 96 Volvo 850 its actually a bad rack and not the tie rod end i also had this happen on my Moms 2005 Mercury Grand marquis with 45,000 easy miles on it and i have seen many more over the years.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They rent them for free, you leave a deposit and then get it back when you return the tool.

And if you don't return the tool no problem because you already bought it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Thanks guys, yes, my rack has a bent washer to prevent it from loosening. probably wouldn't hurt to put blue loctite too
wink.gif

Will rent the remover from my nearby part store.

Cheers.

I highly recommend the loctite if the new part doesn't have that washer. I have aligned cars where the DIY-er didn't use loctite, and I had to re-tighten the inner tie rod ends.

I never bother holding the P/S rack, I also never have a problem.

What brand inner tierod end are you using? I advise not using cheap parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back