PCV catch can absorbant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Been trying to find some material fill my PCV catch can.
Needed to absorb vapors, but not dissolve in oil...
Had an epiphany on Wednesday night....

Stopped by Advanced Auto, grabbed the biggest DriveWorks oil filter they had,
on the cart in the back (discounted). $1.85...
Sucker was long as my elbow to wrist, but I'm a little guy...

Also grabbed 5 jugs Castrol Edge 0W-40, $10 each...
Gave the clerk a 20% discount coupon, paid and left...

Dremel cutting tool, and 20 minutes later, the remains of the oil filter are in the recycle bin, and I have a 100 by 15 centimeter piece of filter paper. Borrow the girlfriends quilt cutting board and wheel, presto, I have six 50 by 5 centimeter sections.

Rolled one up, thought "smokin' now", and installed in the catch can.
Remember, I am after absorbing, not filtering.

Filter material gets soaked with oil, and drips into bottom of can. I drain off every time I stop for gas, and add it to the tank before filling up, great way to get rid of the waste, only about a teaspoon or two...

That is a good buy on the Euro Castrol.

Would you mind sharing a picture of your catch can setup?

Lowes, filter for air compressors.
Toss the filter part inside...

I found two plastic adapters a few isles over that had a screw fitting on one end, and a hose barb on the other...

Either I pour the oil back into the oil pan, not wanting to do this, put it in the trash, environmental no no, or in the gas tank. 2 teaspoons in ten gallons is not much...

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?cata...StoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4040724072]&cmRelshp=req&storeNumber=0709&langId=-1&cId=PDIO1&partNumber=221024-47120-SGY-AIR10JH&storeId=10151&rel=nofollow

My catch cans are naked inside. But the PVC side is located in a "cold" area in the air flow next to the radiator. The gasses will condense and the can being the low point stay in the can. Empty about a cup or so every 5k miles.

The black oil layer on top comes for the pre turbo side and i basically oil mist form the valve cover. Not much as you can see in 5k and this could be put back into the motor if I could figure out a way. The rest is from the PCV side.

Turbos need two cans.

Y8lqE7I.jpg

And most of the PCV side collections is water, I'd say at least 50%. The more humid it is the more that gets collected. No way would I put it back in the gas tank.

Here's a pic of a self draining type I had on a car in the winter. Temp was just below freezing. FWIW it almost all evaporated when it drained onto the cement.

con_can_drippins.jpg

I have two of these stuffed inside the upper cap of my home-made catch can made of 2 inch PVC, 2 end caps, 2 barbed fittings for the hoses and a drain plug. I drain

0F623F11-843C-4E5F-8D36-ACB68432322C-328-000001EB4377B05C_zps2ac2c8eb.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I have two of these stuffed inside the upper cap of my home-made catch can made of 2 inch PVC, 2 end caps, 2 barbed fittings for the hoses and a drain plug. I drain

0F623F11-843C-4E5F-8D36-ACB68432322C-328-000001EB4377B05C_zps2ac2c8eb.jpg

Do you have a picture you can post of your homemade catch can?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Photobucket app says the site is down for maintenance. I'll post later....

Thanks.

Hose on the left (through the mid-section) goes to the PCV. Hose on the right (through the cap) goes to the intake. IIRC, it's 5/16" hose.

20160205_130205-1.jpg

20160205_130248.jpg

The barbed fittings for the hoses and the nipple/cap I used for the drain (not shown). I had some Ultra Copper sealer so I used that over the fittings:

3D3157D0-2A78-499D-BA46-678481CAE417-328-000001EB04EF7D1A_zpse5280b70.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-05-14-29-21-1.png

Used a step drill bit to make the holes big enough for the brass threads to bite into the PVC and tighten with a deep drive socket.

Screenshot_2016-02-05-13-47-08.png

Sorry for the hi jack. Just thought I'd say what I used to make it.

Last edited:
Correction, turn the fitting at the bottom around, with the barb inside, bush up on the bottom dimple, hold, and fill dimple with hot melt glue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back