Chrysler Crossfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not counting the Jensen Interceptor I used to own and the Jaguar S Type 4.2 I do own, it is the highest quality car I have owned and by far nothing I have ever driven could keep up with this modified SRT 6. Not even close.

I use nothing but mobile one 0-40 ,in my crossfire Oh! you want to see it google
" world fastest crossfire" and on top of that my wife drives it to the grocery store . this was three years ago,,,now 10.65 @ 130

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwia_IuetOLKAhXJ9h4KHegkBqIQtwIIITAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM2b7wbJog9E&usg=AFQjCNEFy_GE5a4HaxiW6yYrx45D8iOzkg&sig2=u5y-YaCQjVcn3TrVBiHWGA&bvm=bv.113370389,d.dmo

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And the trans is the well respected and extremely durable WA580 if automatic. Not very many stick shifts out there at all...

I have no experience with it, but here's another opinion on the WA580. Not the worst I've read about an A/T, but not the best, either.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/NAG1-WA580.html

A couple of individual anecdotes is all they could muster? Sorry, but literally millions of Mercedes and Chrysler owners have been beating on these for decades and they are considered a great transmission. Remember the E55? How about the mighty V12 twin turbo Mercs? All had a WA580 in them.

It's a very old design. But it featured real ball and roller bearings where most at the time had plain, a "dry sump" design that kept the lube off rotating components, very high torque capacity, infinitely variable lockup, and extremely quick response.

Please talk to Bill at Paramount Performance about his unlimited warranty on built NAG's with no power limit! AWD Jeeps with 1200 hp run his gearbox.

Its the 722.6 in Mercedes speak and other than a handful of early teething issues in 1996/97/98 it's bomb proof. The super high HP AMG cars like the SL65AMG's used it until very recently, since it could handle the 1k ft pounds of twist those big V12's put out. Range Rovers used them, Jag's used them, G wagons used them to move a lot of weight around...

Brabus ran a lot more torque threw them with I guess OK results.

Mercedes designed it in the mid 90's to replace the 722.4 I believe which was their awesome 4 speed with another gear stuck on, it didn't work out so good.

If my memory serves me the 722.6 first came to the US market in the S320 for the 1997 model year...the last US car it was used in was probably around 2013ish...long run on that one!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Not many differences among the years, right?

Originally Posted By: ET16
Thanks for the replies. Not many differences among the years, right?

Nothing significant. As with most vehicles, a lot of the bugs were worked out in the first couple model year runs.
The SRT6 was only produced in 2005 and a handful of '06's; the ragtop was introduced in '05; and a SE low line version was introduced mid-cycle in an attempt to boost sales.
Here's a list of the TSBs:
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/13801-all-data-tsb-s.html

I'm considering one of these again.

The car needs: brakes all around, valve cover gaskets, fog light, transmission leak addressed, headlight lenses, etc.

The seller is at $4K. I'm guessing that the trans leak is the infamous electrical plug on the 722.6 boxes.

I think I'll go for it. I've asked the seller if I can bring the car to a shop. No word yet.

It is a great little car. I have had a great deal of seat time in SRT6's at Homestead, they are amazing and handle extremely well.

Reminds me of a 300Z. Just with some rarity...

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
They look like a small dog taking a life-changing dump.

hqdefault.jpg

I always thought they looked like a Chrysler front end welded to the rear of a New Beetle. But yeah, small dog leaving a yard ornament works.

I'm considering one of these again.

The car needs: brakes all around, valve cover gaskets, fog light, transmission leak addressed, headlight lenses, etc.

The seller is at $4K. I'm guessing that the trans leak is the infamous electrical plug on the 722.6 boxes.

At least those didn't use Sensotronic Brake Control like the W211 E-Class and the Maybachs - so no special procedure to disable SBC. Brakes on most Benz products aren't too terrible of an ordeal. European-made pads(ATE, Mintex, Pagid, Textar, Jurid, Ferodo - supposedly Wagner pads for European cars are made in England seeing how it's also owned by Federal-Mogul) and rotors(Zimmermann, Balo, Brembo) are readily available on the aftermarket.

I'd check the wiring harness while you have the valve covers off - while the W124 wiring harness gremlin was in the past, it's not a bad idea to check for frayed insulation or brittle connectors.

It turned out that the car had a rebuilt title, and the seller became a little difficult about it. I was ready to buy, but the rebuilt title set me off.

It turned out that the car had a rebuilt title, and the seller became a little difficult about it. I was ready to buy, but the rebuilt title set me off.
If it was totaled due to a cosmetic issue like a crinkled fender and the rest of the car was OK.. All depends on your car philosophy. Function over form every time for me . I'm proud of my patches. I always admired this car. What would a coupe in running shape with good AT and maybe the AMG engine. go for? Is it a V 6 ? Happy to know it is right wheel drive. Could I put in a posi diff or a 4 matic ? My BMW buddies have warned me off used Mercedes in general. What are these like to wrench on?

Originally Posted By: andyd
If it was totaled due to a cosmetic issue like a crinkled fender and the rest of the car was OK.. All depends on your car philosophy. Function over form every time for me . I'm proud of my patches. I always admired this car. What would a coupe in running shape with good AT and maybe the AMG engine. go for? Is it a V 6 ? Happy to know it is right wheel drive. Could I put in a posi diff or a 4 matic ? My BMW buddies have warned me off used Mercedes in general. What are these like to wrench on?

I think the SRTs have the AMG engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back