Georgia bans 71 oils from 29 brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia has issued stop sales orders on 56 motor oils and 15 transmission fluids, most of which have been featured on PQIA.

PQIA has been giving speeches and TV interviews to press regulators at state and national levels to take action on damaging lubricants.

List

Tom NJ

Assuming these oils aren't what they are inferred to be, I think it's great...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Assuming these oils aren't what they are inferred to be, I think it's great...

This is a GOOD thing, interesting that of all places Georgia
would be one of the proactive states on consumer protection.

Looking at the link, the Super XXX by New World Sale listed as having "visible debris".

Fantastic.

Wasn't Big Lots mentioned here earlier about having oils that are not even suitable for vehicles made in the past 40 years?

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
Looking at the link, the Super XXX by New World Sale listed as having "visible debris".

Fantastic.

Wasn't Big Lots mentioned here earlier about having oils that are not even suitable for vehicles made in the past 40 years?

Yep

I'm the first to condemn actions by gov't that are often a knee jerk and not (IMHO) based on sound principal. This action does seem to be a legitimate consumer protectionism by gov't for the people of Georgia.

Thumbs up Georgia!

This is awesome. When I saw this thread I was reminded of work that PQIA did with New Jersey several months ago, resulting in New Jersey banning the sale of several motor oil brands.

PQIA is doing a great job at protecting the consumer, and bringing to the attention of state agencies these bad oils.

IIRC, it was pointed out in the comments by NJ state officials that all too often it is those who can least afford serious car repairs, that are attracted to the cheap prices of inferior motor oils, and thus fall victim of the unfortunate consequences.

This is not awesome. Why do we need the government running our lives? Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it. This is no difference than the large soda bans. Creep creep creep. Next thing they will regular ate how much toilet paper you can use per session. It's coming. Soon they might even regulate how often your allows to change you oil to help the "environment".

Originally Posted By: ToadU
This is not awesome. Why do we need the government running our lives? Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it. This is no difference than the large soda bans. Creep creep creep. Next thing they will regular ate how much toilet paper you can use per session. It's coming. Soon they might even regulate how often your allows to change you oil to help the "environment".

Go buy some Chinese dog food for your beloved pooch. Let us know how the lack of government oversight works out for you.

But I do agree with you on the soda issue....thing is, you are confusing two different issues.

Last edited:

Someone get the net.

Looks like all the oils they banned are actually very dangerous ones so this is good as long as they keep it this way and don't bother with appropriate labeled older api products such as SG, SH, SL

Soon they might even regulate how often your allows to change you oil to help the "environment".

This will come. In the realm of possibility. They'll issue certificates of disposal only allowing you to dispose of so many quarts per year. They'll monitor total miles driven and issue certificates accordingly.

Last edited:

Because some people are morons? Because the strong will prey on the weak. Those were awful oils. Most consumers don't have a lab to figure that out for themselves.

Remember 186k per second, it's not just a good idea, it's the law!

Buyer beware. Be an informed consumer. I have no problem with thr Chinese dog food issues. I am a knowledgeable consumer and feed both of my Schutzen trained imported German Shepherds the very best American made food. That doesn't mean I want th government telling me I can't buy somthing if I want it. I already resent the CAFE standards. There will come a day when car oil drains are sealed with some sort of tamper device and you will be forced to take your car into a government approved facility just like with smog checks and get a government approved oil change at government approved intervals. It won't stop at soda and oil.

My wife has a doctorate but knows nothing of motor oil, what if she needed oil and purchased some of this. The PQIA has helped push for this and it is good. If you have a good organization saying something needs to be done and the government does something is that not them listening to what we say or want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back