Timing Chains: 4 Bangers-How long have/do YOU go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen one modern timing chain fail. (It jumped timing.) It was on a Ford V10, powering a 2001 F-550 repo truck. The truck got a rebuilt engine and is still in service.

The chain jumped with 553,000 miles.

Had a Triumph TR7 that snapped the chain at around 70k miles. Busted the head up. Talking about faulty design and the chain failing. You better service it if you catch it.

Here's a thread on the early Gen Coupe 2L. One which I have. Need to pull the valve cover off this summer and give it a look.

CC907718-830C-439A-9109-F3768BAE0FBD_zpsw99krwkl.jpg

http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discussion-2008-2012/488785-skipped-timing-chain-fair-warning.html

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yep, I wouldn't even consider proactively changing a chain. The case could be made to proactively change every part on a car since they all have a defined lifespan and "can" fail.

You should on the BMW M88/S38 and S14 motors at around 100k. If the chain jumps a few teeth you are looking at big money- a set of OEM intake and exhaust valves runs @$400 per cylinder.

Timing chains were never a regular service item, only when the half motors that used belts appeared was service recommended...

Our first Nissan truck the chain guides broke around 100k miles. Our second Nissan truck which had the improved guides made it to about 160k before breaking one of the guides.

Typically tensioner or guide issues are the death of them, not the chain itself - but not always.

Something to keep in mind is that OHC/DOHC engines have much longer and more complex timing chain systems. OHV engine chains commonly last forever if there isn't a major design flaw (nylon gears, etc.)

My parents had a mercedes diesel that broke a chain...I could not believe it. 1980 300sd with around 200K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have seen one modern timing chain fail. (It jumped timing.) It was on a Ford V10, powering a 2001 F-550 repo truck. The truck got a rebuilt engine and is still in service.

And that is probably what I would do if that happened. Just yank the old motor out and drop in a factory remanned crate engine. Except in very rare occasions, if the chain is an issue, the motor is probably toward the end of it's useful life and one might as well cut their losses and drop in a remanned engine. More cost effective in the long run if one is going to keep the vehicle around for quite a while.

Chains can last the life of the engine... but I probably wouldn't go more than 200k miles (if the rest of the vehicle is still in great shape) just because they stretch and the valve timing will get less optimum over time. VCT engines can even compensate for that within limits. Some engines I'd be more careful with- like the modern Hemi through about 2012/2013 had some issues with the timing chain tensioner failing on vehicles with both VCT and cylinder deactivation and particular rear-end ratios (probably a harmonic vibration that over-worked the tensioner, just my guess), so I'll probably proactively change the one in my SRT at 100k or so, even though it doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

when i was car shopping i looked for a car with a timing chain. my GM 2.5 ecotec is chain driven and i plan on it to last as long as the car does.

In 1998, I was driving my 1994 Toyota 4wd truck down the road at around 65-70. Going fine, then nothing.

Truck had 66,621 miles. When the shop tore it down, they called for me to come look. The timing chain was actually broke on one side of a link.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

And that is probably what I would do if that happened. Just yank the old motor out and drop in a factory remanned crate engine. Except in very rare occasions, if the chain is an issue, the motor is probably toward the end of it's useful life and one might as well cut their losses and drop in a remanned engine. More cost effective in the long run if one is going to keep the vehicle around for quite a while.

Not just the chain...whentiming jumped, it bent some valves.

My 03 Tracker has a timing chain and its got ~260k km on it. It runs near 3k at 60mph too so its seen some revs and the odd time I bounce it off the limiter. Some of these did have tensioner issues that would stick and not tension any further which allowed the chain to get loose and take out the guide.
I think my mixed up oil selection over the years of 5W30 dino and syn to RT6 to 20W50 probably didn't hurt it any.
It's been put out to pasture now and just gets thrashed around the farm. The timing chain and the clutch lasted its full service life which is what I would expect.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
when i was car shopping i looked for a car with a timing chain. my GM 2.5 ecotec is chain driven and i plan on it to last as long as the car does.

Back in 2011 before I bought the Focus, I was looking at used cars. While looking at a Versa, I asked the sales guy if it had a timing belt or Chain.

He pointed to the serpentine belt and said it used a timing belt.

The engine used a chain

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

Back in 2011 before I bought the Focus, I was looking at used cars. While looking at a Versa, I asked the sales guy if it had a timing belt or Chain.

The engine used a chain

When we bought my wife's Subaru, I also asked the salesman if it had a timing belt or chain. He told me it has a chain, and he was right.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

The engine used a chain

When we bought my wife's Subaru, I also asked the salesman if it had a timing belt or chain. He told me it has a chain, and he was right.

He had a 50-50 chance and got lucky. I doubt he actually knew. The salesmen I've spoken to can barely remember the option packages on the cars, so I wouldn't expect them to know technical details that 95% of buyers don't care about, like timing belts.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Originally Posted By: exranger06

The engine used a chain

He had a 50-50 chance and got lucky. I doubt he actually knew. The salesmen I've spoken to can barely remember the option packages on the cars, so I wouldn't expect them to know technical details that 95% of buyers don't care about, like timing belts.

Didn't matter too much for me anyway. They wouldn't budge from their price of $12000 for a car that has a $9990 MSRP new.

Long long ago I had a Volvo 122S which I believe had timing gears. This is the best solution for being indestructable, but supposed to make more noise than a chain, though I don't know why. The 122S was a great car BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back