Selling my 9mm S&W Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Didn't think I would. But I am 69 Y.O. and I don't need both G43 and the Shield. Gonna' sell it locally. Till the dust settles I'll lose $70 but I will have $350 in my pocket.

The Shield is a great Pistol just comes up short against the 43.

My EDC is a G19 but when I need a little smaller I carry a Kahr CW9 or CM9. I never liked the shield, mainly because of the safety.

I will have to try a G43 someday.

Originally Posted By: LotI
My EDC is a G19 but when I need a little smaller I carry a Kahr CW9 or CM9. I never liked the shield, mainly because of the safety.

I will have to try a G43 someday.

You will probably like it. The Shield comes with a safety. The safety is almost impossible to accidentally activate. I didn't have a problem with it.It was either get it with the safety of not get one.

The 43 is smaller, lighter, and smoother than the Shield.

I paid 324 for my Shield 9mm with the law enforcement price. I like it, but after shooting it, I'm not too impressed with the trigger. My duty gun is a Glock 21 so I'm thinking of going to a 43 for the same type of trigger pull and reset. A 43 with Glock night sights can be had for 411 LEO price.

Originally Posted By: Ryan
Also, not all Shields have the thumb safety. Mine doesn't.

Almost got a shield, but turned it down when I found out it had the thumb safety. Would have got it if it had the same manual of arms as Glock, etc.

I carry the Glock 21 at work and recently bought the glock 43 for back up carry. I also own an M&P and have fired the shield. The triggers on the m&p series of pistols is bad but can be worked out fairly easily. The glock 43 is considerably smaller than the shield and kicks harder too. The trigger on the glock 43 is also more like 6.5 pounds rather than 5.5 pounds on the larger glocks.

Depeneding on what you are looking for, I can not 100% recommend you get rid of the shield. The sights, ergonomics and recoil of the shield are better than the glock 43. The glock is however lighter, smaller and more familiar to other glocks than the shield is. My glock 43 has the meprolight night sights, ghost trigger connector and pearce frame plug. Now that I have done those mods, I love the glock 43 for what it is. You might have a tough choice on your hands.

I paid 324 for my Shield 9mm with the law enforcement price. I like it, but after shooting it, I'm not too impressed with the trigger. My duty gun is a Glock 21 so I'm thinking of going to a 43 for the same type of trigger pull and reset. A 43 with Glock night sights can be had for 411 LEO price.

The trigger on 'my' 43 is (to me) identical to the shield.

Originally Posted By: Al

The trigger on 'my' 43 is (to me) identical to the shield.

They are similar to me but not the same. It kinda messed me up on the range. I do a lot of dry firing with Glocks so I have become very snobby about trigger pull and reset. Is Glock the best trigger pull and reset in the world? No, but since it is my duty gun I need to learn that trigger.

You can buy the Shield with or without a safety. Here is a picture of one without a safety.

10035_01_lg.jpg

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I own a 9mm Shield without the safety and love it.

Yea..I really loved mine. Then I made the mistake of just "looking" and "holding" and then buying a 43. The good thing is I am only going to sell it locally. I packed it up for now and put it in gun safe. If it doesn't sell quickly then I will be forced to drag it out again and re-love it again....lol

I sometimes see the 40-cal Shield on sale new for around $350. The 9mm always seems to sell for a little more.

Good luck getting your asking price Al. I presume it's like new. Best places to buy online lately are...
Palmetto State Armory
Kentucky Guns
Grab A Gun
Gallery of Guns
Buds Gun Shop

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I sometimes see the 40-cal Shield on sale new for around $350. The 9mm always seems to sell for a little more.

Good luck getting your asking price Al. I presume it's like new. Best places to buy online lately are...
Palmetto State Armory
Kentucky Guns
Grab A Gun
Gallery of Guns
Buds Gun Shop

My buddy just bought a lightly used .40S&W Shield for $280. A steal in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I sometimes see the 40-cal

Good luck getting your asking price Al. I presume it's like new. Best places to buy online lately are.

I am not selling it for less. If I don't sell it thats more than fine with me.

But as PT Barnum said, "there is a sucker born every minute"..lol

Yeah Shields can be found on sale semi regularly in the $329-349 range. Asking $350 is full retail price for a new gun. Used gun should be in the $275-300 range.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah Shields can be found on sale semi regularly in the $329-349 range. Asking $350 is full retail price for a new gun. Used gun should be in the $275-300 range.

Yea. I don't want to sell it that bad. I am happy to keep it. And at two of the gunshops here they go for $430...in which case they are saving $105 (bc of tax)

Locale really does matter. People on the S&W forums still report transactions for new Shields in the $450 range in some areas. I bought mine for $359 a few years ago, and I can still find them for close to that in local gun shops.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending...) the Internet has some leveling effect on prices, as you can buy Shields all day long for $350 online, plus your local transfer fee.

I sold mine last year after putting about 1000 rounds through it. Shot great for such a short barrel, never a hiccup.

It was the gritty/crunchy trigger that drove me crazy and pushed me to sell it. I had a hard time getting a clean break. I believe I paid $379 for mine and sold it for $350.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back