Does anyone rebuild OPE carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Are these "cheap" carbs we're talking about, genuine: tecumseh, briggs, keihin, kohler, etc.. or knock-offs?

The one I got for my Tecumseh Snow King was a Chinese knock off. Going on the 3rd season just fine.

Three years ago I got an Oregon for my 9HP Techumseh Snow King which never ran well, finally ran very poorly and just replaced it. At $10 more than the rebuild kit, it was a no-brainer.

I've rebuilt small and large carbs for decades, but my little B&S push mower led me to discover just how cheap replacement carbs were. The first time it was damaged by water + E10 I rebuilt it, the second time the corrosion was so bad I didn't have much choice but to replace it. It was like it was filled with concrete.

That's when I stopped storing even 45 days with E10+Stabil. Now I run them dry before 30 days, and run E0. (I do run E10 through the middle of the Summer because I go through it so fast).

I have rebuilt many over the years with no real issues.
I had an old Kohler that the throttle shaft was extremely worn, I bought a Chinese knock off from ebay. Pretty much looked like an identical copy and it was only $40 vs over $100 for oem. Its been on there 2 years and works perfect.

My $45 EBay carb came in the mail. It will go on this weekend. Looks well built. Would have been nice to include the needed gasket! But the possible snow for Wed is now going to be rain. So no pressure.

To the OP: I even think you are required to have rebuilt a carb to enter this sub forum...
wink.gif

I will examine the old carb and may rebuild it. But if it snows I do not want to be in the middle of rebuilding the carb.

I have sent out my Mercruiser and Snowcat carbs to be rebuilt.

Originally Posted By: lars11
To the OP: I even think you are required to have rebuilt a carb to enter this sub forum...
wink.gif

Does rebuilding the single barrel carb off my Mustang 45 years ago count
lol.gif
?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
wink.gif

lol.gif
?

Whimsey
Only if you had parts leftover.,,,,

Who buys a Mustang with a 6 cyl? I know my 1969 Mustang 351 had 4 barrel carb. I am also pretty sure my 1965 Mustang 289 had a 4 barrel carb.

I assume I rebuilt both, but long time ago.

So I took off the original carb from the snowblower. One thing it had (which the new one does not) was a threaded hole in the bottom of the bowl (went all the way through into the bowl) and that was connected to a bracket under the carb. This bracket will just be flopping around without being bolted to the bottom of the carb.

I hardly ever rebuild a carb. They're so easy to clean if you know where all the passages are. Actually, I take that back in the case of Tecumseh's. I always end up putting new o-rings on the nozzle and replacing the bowl gasket. The carbs that give me fits (because you can't find any good reference material for finding all the passages, are weed whacker carbs with the primer bulbs on the body of the carb. I end up getting them from Ebay about 50% of the time. There is at least one passage that alludes me. The last car's carb I rebuilt was an 850 (800???) Carter Quadrajet (Quadrajunk) on my 66 Chevelle. It was a serious nightmare. Need five hands!

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
wink.gif

lol.gif
?

Whimsey
Only if you had parts leftover.,,,,

And only if you did it because of ethanol damage...
smile.gif

So here is one odd thing about the original carb. It has a threaded screw hole at the bottom of the bowl and its normal thread, not NPT. A bolt goes through a bracket attached also to the engine and then into the bowl. What seals the gas from dripping? I think I always had a little gas dripping there. Or at least it was wet.

Still on the fence as to rebuild or new new carb.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Who buys a Mustang with a 6 cyl? I know my 1969 Mustang 351 had 4 barrel carb. I am also pretty sure my 1965 Mustang 289 had a 4 barrel carb.

I assume I rebuilt both, but long time ago.

It was a major step up from my Beetle
lol.gif

Whimsey

I still have not decided whether to use the new or rebuild my old carb due to the missing mounting hole for a support bracket in the new carb.

I was incorrect about this mounting hole. The carb is an updraft carb and the mounting hole is in the bottom of the air passageway, not the bottom of the fuel bowl. If its weeping fuel through the bolt hole, the fuel bowl is likely overflowing.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The $25 carbs I bought for the Hondas were genuine Honda carbs. Boats.net had the cheapest prices so I bought them there. I guess boats use the same carbs as lawn mowers and pressure washers?
21.gif

The carb for my 25 year old Honda mower is $54 at boats.net. They show 5 different OE carbs for my mower!

Donald said:

I assume I rebuilt both, but long time ago. [/quote

I do, check out mustang 6 association (M6A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back