Going to make all my staff grow beards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://ewn.co.za/2016/02/03/Beards-have-antibiotic-properties

Quote:
Microbiologists from University College London recently took swab samples from 20 beards.

They wanted to test the theory that most contain faecal bacteria.

of course they did...to find that would be sensational headlines.

Quote:
But further tests revealed something surprising - beard bacteria has antibiotic properties.

Adam Roberts, senior lecturer in Microbial Diseases at University College London, said “What we do is grid out the individual bacteria on an agar plate which has been pre-inoculated with an indicator strain.

And then we see if that indicator strain can grow right up to the individual colonies from the beards or from anywhere else that we’ve got these bacteria from.

“And we found, quite surprisingly, that the beard isolates were quite capable of killing the indicator strain that we have; showing that they actually produce antibiotics themselves.”

From the beards sampled, about a hundred pure cultures of bacteria were detected.

Around 25 percent of these showed antibiotic activity.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
So the beards were moldy and started to grow penicillin. YUCK. Ed

No wonder I haven't been sick at all this past year!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

No wonder I haven't been sick at all this past year!

My words exactly!
banana2.gif

The article is about bacteria...mold and penicillin are fungus.

That was my thought, disgusting!

Has anyone else noticed how the mass mindless media has been
subconsciously planting these bearded metrosexuals in everything from toothpaste ads to mainstream sitcoms? Very...weird.

I have defintely noticed. The beard mania is SO overdone. Every single commercial I see has the OBG (obligatory bearded guy) prominently featured.

It seems like the media inspired ultimate goal is for every man to look like a homeless hermit. No thanks, I'll pass.

Just goes to show that nature usually knows best. Sometimes people used to ask my husband (a Sikh) why he grew a beard. He'd say, "God grows it, I just keep it. Why do you keep taking yours off?" (just an anecdote- not trying to start a religious discussion)

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Then should one never cut his hair? Should it grow down to the floor?

What makes you say that it would grow to the floor ?

Ignorance ?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Has anyone else noticed how the mass mindless media has been
subconsciously planting these bearded metrosexuals in everything from toothpaste ads to mainstream sitcoms? Very...weird.

Yes along with what I call 'bunnies' (man bun wearers) NOT to be confused with the hot female Playboy Bunny, and most call 'top knots'.

VERY annoying, and once everyone else is doing it (like ink and metal), it no longer is unique, 'cool', or different.

I used to wear a beard, mainly in the winter months as it helps keep the face warm.
But.....after radiation treatments on the left side of my neck for Hodgkins Lymphoma, my facial hair paid the price. It's not near as thick on that side nor does it grow as fast as the right side.

Beards aren't for everyone and I don't think I or everyone else I know that had/has a beard looks like a homeless hermit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

What makes you say that it would grow to the floor ?

Ignorance ?

Well, Shannow, DUH, no.

Its called a "figure of speech". If hes "keeping the beard because God grew it", then, why not apply that same belief to hair on the head?? If "God grew it" for 30-40 or more years, in fact it would be at or near the floor, BTW.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
If "God grew it" for 30-40 or more years, in fact it would be at or near the floor, BTW.

fact ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back