GM Oil Life Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Oil Life System has been recalibrated for Acadia/Traverse etc. Also, I hear it might have been revised for the Cruze. Now this 7500 mile cap for ALL powertrains.

Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
 1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.

Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

 2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.
 3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

Mostly for all those who tend to drive these DI'd and turboed cars and trucks like they stole them...

While stopping at the local chevy shop to pick up mu BIL, they had a nearly 2 year old Cruze that a customer killed both the turbo and barely changed the oil ever...

What's interesting is they did it across the board even for engines like the 6.0 which doesn't have any tech like DI that could cause issues.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I know Oil Life System has been recalibrated for Acadia/Traverse etc. Also, I hear it might have been revised for the Cruze. Now this 7500 mile cap for ALL powertrains.

That would bother me if I owned a Acadia/Traverse and come to find I was running OCI's longer than 7500 miles following the OLM prior to the re-calibration. I guess the engineers decided after the fact that 7,500 miles was the magic number. Imagine logging 100K miles following the OLM prior to the re-calibration, and wondering how much better you're engine would have been with the updated OLM programming. My OCD would get the best of me I think, others wouldn't care.

No one ever checks their oil level anymore, that's the biggest problem. One of the reasons GM went to 8 quart sumps on their new 0W-20 trucks.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
No one ever checks their oil level anymore, that's the biggest problem. One of the reasons GM went to 8 quart sumps on their new 0W-20 trucks.

Chrysler went in the opposite direction to a 5 qt. sump, from 6 qts. on the Pentastar upgrade. I'm trying to figure out their logic for that. A lighter engine? lol

I just went twice as long as the OLM suggested in my 06 Malibu. Wear metals were fine. A 7,500 mile limit when conditions may be ideal highway driving is ridiculously short. I agree with bigt61, problems come from lack of common sense. Check your oil!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
No one ever checks their oil level anymore, that's the biggest problem.

+1

My own mother had the TPMS light illuminate in her '13 Accord. Instead of checking the owners manual, she was just going to take it in. The dealer would inflate her tires, reset the system and give her a bill for $100 or more. I'm sure they would say "multi-point inspection" and fill the washer bottle too
smile.gif

I filled the tires and pressed the reset button and all is fine. It's an indirect system so no reprogramming needed.

I always found the two year, up to 16k mile counter accurate for my Saab. No issues and no severe oil degradation or anything like that.

Are all their engines DI now?

I remember GM having their mileage cap set at 12k in 2000! An GM's limit has been 7500 as long as they've been using the OLM. I know that the 2000 Alero owner's manual says not to go beyond 7500 miles. But this was with SJ dino, not modern synthetic and blends like dexos1 and SN.

Someone else on here with a Trailblazer I6 has been getting a suggested OCI of 8800.

I have heard of the OLM system of suggesting 10k oci, which may be ok for a quality synthetic, but remember , they have to factor that most people will go to quick lube and get whatever cheap dino they have in the bulk tank.
At least if a dexos oil is used the 7500 miles should not be any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back