2014 2015 Silverado Sierra Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gonefishing

- Torque management. In a nut shell this is the computer's way of limiting power based on throttle input. I know these engines have plenty of power but they just don't seem like at low throttle angles (daily driving). It takes a lot of throttle movement to get the truck moving. This combined with the transmission always wanting to be in the highest gear make things worse. A little more throttle and it seems to "panic" and downshift. Those that have the PCM tuned have torque management reduced along with better transmission logic have reported and night/day difference in drive-ability. Something I might look into in the future.

That's how the old dumb gear boxes always shifted. I wonder if GM changed the programming on the new 8spd to be more like the ZF in the Ram?

My biggest complaint driving my friends Suburban with the 6 speed is that its just not as good as the ZF8 in my truck. It still pulls the race for top gear nonsense.

I agree that it makes the 5.3 feel doggy which is a shame because the HP is their.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: BMOC
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
We have a 2014 that replace a 2009 that replace a 2005. The 2014+ is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generations. No major issues, but not trouble free. Two ECU reflash recalls, one TSB fix for a loose driver seat, and several tech ride-alongs for highway vibrations. The vibrations went away when we ditched the factory Goodyears. Currently 25K and very happy.

I have balanced a lot new trucks and trucks with little miles due to tire vibrations. Some of them have come off the truck needing a rebalance.

Plus the factory selects low rolling resistance tires that stink for traction.

We ditched brand new Goodyears on our RAM for new Michelins and completely changed the ride and handling for the better.

MUCH better...

The strangest part is prior to the new wheels/tires, we had the OEM Goodyears Road Force balanced by the dealer. They worst tire was only 14 lbs. 2 were in the 5-7 range, and one was 1lb! Those are all very low numbers for RF but still the vibrations persisted. Swapped out to 20" rims and 33" mud tires and the truck is almost completely smooth again.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

The strangest part is prior to the new wheels/tires, we had the OEM Goodyears Road Force balanced by the dealer. They worst tire was only 14 lbs. 2 were in the 5-7 range, and one was 1lb! Those are all very low numbers for RF but still the vibrations persisted. Swapped out to 20" rims and 33" mud tires and the truck is almost completely smooth again.

Our truck came with 20's and giant sized RS-A's. My wife noticed almost immediately that in the rain the GY's were slippery and rode poorly. Then later she complained about higher speed balancing issues. They were simply poor tires. We were able to get a premium for them since they only had a few thousand miles.

Happy wife means happy husband!

I have a '15 Silverado 4x4. 12.5k miles on it. I put a 2.5" lift kit on it though, and did a custom tune on the engine and transmission. The Torque management drove me nuts. I did have a problem with the dash making a lot of rattling noise, and I ended up taking part of the dash out and putting some tape on the metal clips that secure it in the dash. I admit that was pretty annoying, but it fixed the noise and now its pretty solid. But other than that I haven't had any issues. If you take care of it, it should last a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim74
I have a '15 Silverado 4x4. 12.5k miles on it. I put a 2.5" lift kit on it though, and did a custom tune on the engine and transmission. The Torque management drove me nuts. I did have a problem with the dash making a lot of rattling noise, and I ended up taking part of the dash out and putting some tape on the metal clips that secure it in the dash. I admit that was pretty annoying, but it fixed the noise and now its pretty solid. But other than that I haven't had any issues. If you take care of it, it should last a long time.
Off topic, but. I tuned my truck as well. I couldnt stand torque management and also the 4 cylinder shut down. Running a 87 octane woke the truck up. It just wants to go now.

Originally Posted By: Doog
My 99 was great....2002 bad news...2006 an abysmal failure and I swore off GM forever.

best thing I ever did....was drive across the street to the Toyota dealer. I have since purchased 7 Toyotas. Only one real issue between all of them.
What happened with your 06? I had a 06 and loved it. Only bought my current truck because I needed a bigger cab.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Jim74
Off topic, but. I tuned my truck as well. I couldnt stand torque management and also the 4 cylinder shut down. Running a 87 octane woke the truck up. It just wants to go now.

Yep, I did the same thing. Disabled 4 cylinder mode

Everyone loves to COMPLAIN about everything these days .No on ever praises the good stuff it seems.Most all car and truck forums are for people to complain about the vehicles.Ill admit that the vehicles today sure do have lots of issues recalls etc pretty sad,but its all about the low bidder making the parts so the manufacture makes most profit,then we the buyer suffer after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back