Weather guys wrong again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another complete miss in the forecast for the storm yesterday. Supposed to get 3-5" between 1AM and 3PM. That was even the forecast DURING the storm - it never changed. Wound up raining until like 4:30AM before finally cooling off enough that it turned to snow.

Once it started to snow it came down heavy and steady until finally tapering off around 5PM. The storm ended up dumping a almost a foot of wet, heavy, concrete like stuff. Cleanup was miserable. Standing water underneath made it hard enough to remove but then add in how the snow itself was so heavy and wet that the snow blower just pushed it like a plow which made it a bear to deal with. Easily took 3X's+ longer to clean up than it should for the amount we had.

Thank god it wasn't a storm with a lot of wind or trees would have come down everywhere with all of that heavy snow stuck to them. Luckily we didn't lose power.

As I have said in other recent weather posts; if you want to know the weather look out the window because the forecast is never right it seems.

Last edited:
and then they had the gall to get on the noon news and say shovel it before sunset or it'll turn to concrete overnight.
wink.gif

In my 45 years experience on Cape Cod, the forecasters are wrong WAY more than they're right, when it comes to snow. Whether it's their computer modelling that's faulty or what, they always seem to under-predict what we get.

Like NHHEMI, they were saying 1-3" here and we got more like 8".

I understand weather forecasting isn't an exact science, but when they're wrong as often as they are, I would think they would try to adjust their prediction models a little...sheesh.

Weather is chaotic...it cannot be predicted without an impossibly precise knowledge of the initial conditions. Just a fact of existence.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Weather is chaotic...it cannot be predicted without an impossibly precise knowledge of the initial conditions. Just a fact of existence.

+1. General trends and current conditions are great... Speculating too far out doesn't lend to accuracy.

It's winter. It snows, we get ice. So it goes.

Are all you guys farmers? Farmers like to complain about the weather.

On the last huge northeast storm everyone here was complaining that there was TOO much pre-storm hype.

This time they error on the conservative side and still the complaints come.

Those poor weathermen must not be able to sleep at night.

+1 They cant predict tomorrows weather but can say with certainty that's its going to hot as a mofo in 100 yrs and we are going to burn up on a overheated planet.
Put another $10 a barrel fee on oil to prevent it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
yep, yet the computer models for global warming are absolutely correct and infallible 200 years out.

Predicting trends is way different than predicting the exact weather in a given area on a given day. And, I doubt that anybody is saying any one model or simulation is infallible...just they there are all basically pointing the same way, unless they are funded by oil/gas companies.

Originally Posted By: Trav
100% false, they fudged the friggin data and that's a proven fact!

This is my thought also; instead of stating the facts, they've started the shade the forecasts with what they think people want to hear.

"Another big snowstorm? That's not what people want to hear, let's tone it down a little."

Of course, they're predicting the future so we all know how accurate THAT is....

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
yep, yet the computer models for global warming are absolutely correct and infallible 200 years out.

Predicting trends is way different than predicting the exact weather in a given area on a given day. And, I doubt that anybody is saying any one model or simulation is infallible...just they there are all basically pointing the same way, unless they are funded by oil/gas companies.

unlike the funding by other groups who say other wise are correct.
Oh, climate change promoters say they are CORRECT!

+1 They cant predict tomorrows weather but can say with certainty that's its going to hot as a mofo in 100 yrs and we are going to burn up on a overheated planet.
lol.gif

100% false, they fudged the friggin data and that's a proven fact!

You are listening to too many conspiracy theories.

I would explain about CO2 and methane being polar gasses and pass UV light but scatter infrared light which bounces off of earth, earth's albedo which becoming less, and that CO2 which has never been above 160ppm in the Quaternary period and went from that 160ppm to over 400 PPM in the last 150 years bc of man. ... But you wouldn't be able to understand that.

So its just best for you to continue to listen to the Koch Brothers, Rush Limbaugh, Sean, Hannity, Glenn Beck..all men of science, Instead of the U.S. Academy of Sciences and 97% of Climatologists in the World's Universities, including India, China, England, Russia, etc.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Many people confuse climate and weather.

+1

Climate can be predicted fairly accurately these days. Weather in individual spots is notoriously hard to predict.

Example: Climate around me has changed to allow non-cold-hardy European grape varieties to safely (and profitably) be planted outside. These days fields that used to be strictly native grapes due to the overall colder climate are a mixture of native and more profitable European varieties.

lol.gif

Yeah exactly......
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silveravant
Many people confuse climate and weather.

Yeah especially liberals.......except they are reaping millions of $$$$$ on "climate"....complete rip off

The National Weather Service got it right for central and eastern Nebraska. Prediction was that we would get 8" to 12" and we got 13". Grand Island got 15". The NWS got the wind speed and drifting forecast right also.

Yet those guys keep trying and present their forecasts as if they are guaranteed to happen that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back