Painful To Find M1 5W30 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try this oil for my next change as it seems to have a good reputation amongst Subaru turbo owners. I know that Pep Boys carries it and there's one pretty close to my work, but the traffic is horrible in that area at lunchtime, in the evening, and on the weekends due to there being way too many stores on a road not built to move vehicles. I avoid driving there unless I absolutely have to, and then I will sneak out of work at an off hour to head over. Don't really care to do that for oil.
I look at the O'Reilly website and it claims they have it in stock at a nearby store, which is on my way home from work and is not in a busy area. It's even a bit cheaper than Pep Boys, so everything sounds great. Had dinner near there with the fam a few nights ago and stopped in on my way back to work (have been working late quite a bit recently to keep a project moving along). Whaddya know, it's not in stock...but, a kid tells me that they have plenty in the warehouse. Can I please call back the next day during regular business hours so they can call the warehouse when somebody is actually there? I don't know why the kid can't take a note, but whatever.
Call back the next day, get another kid who cannot even follow what I am telling him...Mobil 1 ZVM? He asks me to hold on for a second while he finds somebody who knows more about oil. I start to draw a circuit on the whiteboard in the little conference room I have appropriated to see if I can figure out an issue have been struggling with.
I suddenly realize that I have been drawing for a long time...5 minutes? Even 10? I look at my phone and I am still on hold, or at least they didn't hang up. Buh Bye O'Reilly!!
Guess I am going to Pep Boys now. Wish I could find this on Amazon or eBay for a decent price, the per liter price is only reasonable for quantities of 12 or so.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I decided to try this oil for my next change as it seems to have a good reputation amongst Subaru turbo owners. I know that Pep Boys carries it and there's one pretty close to my work, but the traffic is horrible in that area at lunchtime, in the evening, and on the weekends due to there being way too many stores on a road not built to move vehicles. I avoid driving there unless I absolutely have to, and then I will sneak out of work at an off hour to head over. Don't really care to do that for oil.

Sounds like Northern Virginia!

I look at the O'Reilly website and it claims they have it in stock at a nearby store, which is on my way home from work and is not in a busy area. It's even a bit cheaper than Pep Boys, so everything sounds great. Had dinner near there with the fam a few nights ago and stopped in on my way back to work (have been working late quite a bit recently to keep a project moving along). Whaddya know, it's not in stock...but, a kid tells me that they have plenty in the warehouse. Can I please call back the next day during regular business hours so they can call the warehouse when somebody is actually there? I don't know why the kid can't take a note, but whatever.
Call back the next day, get another kid who cannot even follow what I am telling him...Mobil 1 ZVM? He asks me to hold on for a second while he finds somebody who knows more about oil. I start to draw a circuit on the whiteboard in the little conference room I have appropriated to see if I can figure out an issue have been struggling with.
I suddenly realize that I have been drawing for a long time...5 minutes? Even 10? I look at my phone and I am still on hold, or at least they didn't hang up. Buh Bye O'Reilly!!
Guess I am going to Pep Boys now. Wish I could find this on Amazon or eBay for a decent price, the per liter price is only reasonable for quantities of 12 or so.

Talking to a manager @ OReilly would be my play on this.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Best per ltr price is on Amazon. Buy 12ltr and you will have for next oil change too.

I'd like to try it once before I buy a big quantity. Looks like 5 liters will just about get me through one change, so 12 is an inconvenient quantity. One seller on eBay does sell 10 liter lots along with some other stuff I have no interest in, but their shipping cost is nuts.

I'm done with O'Reilly for now, only see kids working there when I do stop in. Might have been talking to managers already as far as I know. They don't seem to have a good system in place for things that are not in stock.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Best per ltr price is on Amazon. Buy 12ltr and you will have for next oil change too.

I'd like to try it once before I buy a big quantity. Looks like 5 liters will just about get me through one change, so 12 is an inconvenient quantity. One seller on eBay does sell 10 liter lots along with some other stuff I have no interest in, but their shipping cost is nuts.

I'm done with O'Reilly for now, only see kids working there when I do stop in. Might have been talking to managers already as far as I know. They don't seem to have a good system in place for things that are not in stock.

The real question is why you want Low-SAPS oil in Subaru? Go to Wal Mart and get Castrol 0W40.
HTHS of M1 5W30 ESP is 3.58cp and Castrol 0W40 is 3.7cp. That is not big difference.
I use Csstrol 0W40 in Tiguan, it is great oil, really good cold start capabilities, good low NOACK etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Islandvic
How far is nearest Wal Mart?

5qt jugs usually $24-28 for M1ESP

That is not ESP he is talking about. He is talking about M1 5W30 ESP that meets VW 504.00/507.00. MB 229.51, BMW LL-04. This ESP is completely different animal.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
What Walmart has Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30?

The website should show availability of the product in nearby stores. Enter your zip, select store, select product and it should give you the results.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

The website should show availability of the product in nearby stores. Enter your zip, select store, select product and it should give you the results.

Perhaps I should have put sarcasm tags around my post...

It's not even on their website. That's not an oil walmart is likely to sell.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

That oil is NOT carried by Wal Mart.
This is Euro 5W30 NOT regular M1 5W30 or m1 5W30 EP.
OP, Euro 0/5W30 are very heavy W30 oils. 0/5W40 are on the light side. I think personally Castrol or M1 0W40 are going to work better in your XT.

It's not even on their website. That's not an oil walmart is likely to sell.

For sure. That one will be difficult to find in big chains. I think I've only ever seen it once or twice around here, at a store called Partsource, which is a sister store of Canadian Tire. They carry a few brands and offerings that Canadian Tire itself does not, but even that is hit and miss.

You could use ESP 0W-30 or 5W-40. Available at any Mercedes dealer. If anything the ESP X1 0W-30 looks even more impressive on paper and meets the newer 229.52 spec.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
You could use ESP 0W-30 or 5W-40. Available at any Mercedes dealer. If anything the ESP X1 0W-30 looks even more impressive on paper and meets the newer 229.52 spec.

In what way looks more impressive?
It has lower HTHS and higher SAPS (though not important for OP, but important for people who MUST use Low-SAPS oil).
X1 is I believe attempt to lower MPG and with that fleet consumption.
But it would be waste of money. OP does not new Low-SAPS oil, he need oil that has higher HTHS, and M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart would do great in that engine.

Last edited:
Yes, something along the lines of M1 0W-40 would be my choice as well, but that's not what the OP asked.

X1 has a significantly better viscosity index and the benefit of being 0W, something that's relevant given his location.

The ESP oils have HTHS that are in line with the oils you mentioned. What you are looking for is the more robust anti-wear anti-oxidant package.

Last edited:
Yes, something along the lines of M1 0W-40 would be my choice as well, but that's not what the OP asked.

X1 has a significantly better viscosity index and the benefit of being 0W, something that's relevant given his location.

The ESP oils have HTHS that are in line with the oils you mentioned. What you are looking for is the more robust anti-wear anti-oxidant package.

I would say antioxidants at 5W30 and 0W30 are definitely on par with each other. For 5W30 we know that NOACK is extremely low (5.6% by some tests), and we do not know anything about X1.
New England's temperature are not so extreme that 0W is absolutely necessary. Considering cold performance of 5W30 ESP, I would say it is splitting hairs.
Regardless, trying to find oil that is not necessary for that car, and spending so much money, when he can get actually oil that fits his needs, is ridiculous.
In my rule book for turbo engine, higher HTHS the better it is.

You posted that he should use M1 or Castrol 0W-40 for the HTHS. The benefit from an ESP to one of those isn't the marginal increase in HTHS but rather a more robust additive package.

0W to 5W is splitting hairs but HTHS from 3.5 to 3.7 isn't?

McLaren uses M1 0W-40 and it's HTHS of 3.8 in a 700+ hp engine. I think his Subaru might be fine even with 3.5.

This is my last post regarding this.

You posted that he should use M1 or Castrol 0W-40 for the HTHS. The benefit from an ESP to one of those isn't the marginal increase in HTHS but rather a more robust additive package.

0W to 5W is splitting hairs but HTHS from 3.5 to 3.7 isn't?

McLaren uses M1 0W-40 and it's HTHS of 3.8 in a 700+ hp engine. I think his Subaru might be fine even with 3.5.

This is my last post regarding this.

Since when 0W30 X1 or 5W30 ESP have more robust additive package compare to M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40?
You are comparing oils that are made for two different applications. Claiming that ESP's are more robust then those two 0W40's are based on what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back