Jetta/Golf reliability incl elec, good bad years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to the party but, 08+ MK5 Jetta/Rabbits with the 2.5 5cyl and 5 speed manual were the most reliable package. 2005.5-07's suffered timing chain failures in the I5. 2008 brought 20 more HP and an upgraded timing chain assembly. Earlier (like 05.5-06) MK5's suffered the door harness failures. I'm sure the MK6 with the same motor/trans were just as reliable till they nixed the 5 banger for the turbo. Yes, the 2.5 is considered a dog, but it's simple and reliable. IMO MK5 and up are just as reliable as the next. MK4's... yea they were steaming pile of electrical issues.

My 2008 Jetta has been wonderful, quirky, but a great car. It's a shame it's not as versatile after moving up North. It's a beast in the snow until it gets over the bumper.

Again,

www.truedelta.com is a website that has real world reliability information. VW often fares poorly. Often an order of magnitude worse than Honda/Toyota.

After my VW Jetta experience, I will never purchase another VW anything, ever.

I like the MK4 Jetta. I think it's one of the best car designs that came from VW for the past 20 years in terms of simplicity and stuff.

A few years ago we had a MK4 Golf in the family for a short period of time and it was basically a nightmare as the car wasn't reliable at all and the service and parts price were ridiculously high, especially considering it was equipped with the 2.0 8V gas engine that has been in use by VW here in Brazil since the 80s. We had tons of VW in the family prior to this Golf and most of them were equipped with an engine from this same EA827 family and all of them were very reliable, this Golf were the only one with reliability issues ranging from the auto trans to the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back