Harrop's Howler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harrop, one of the Australian pioneers....Street Machine magazine article on his late 60s drag car.

http://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1507/harrop%E2%80%99s-howler-the-car-that-kicked-off-ron-harrop%E2%80%99s-career/

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Harrop, one of the Australian pioneers....Street Machine magazine article on his late 60s drag car.

http://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1507/harrop%E2%80%99s-howler-the-car-that-kicked-off-ron-harrop%E2%80%99s-career/

Wow! Very cool! Car looks like a shrunken 52 chevy that I once owned. Thanks, Shannow

8,400 rpm from a Red engine! Stock, they were hard pressed to get to half that. Looks like he's still running the FJ front end with those wheels.

Silk,
the revs, particularly back in the day were amazing...even my XU-1 202 sounded ragged over 5,500...my 186s could do better, but not over around 6,500 (very often)

Didn't realise until playing google last night that John Bennett (I had some dealings with his cooling systems in the 90s) was such a force back in the day.

I know that his company makes some quite good ITB intake systems for the GM/Holden Gen 3/4 LSx engines, as well as other hard parts for the Holden cars.

Trouble with the red 6 was they didn't make much top end...and unfortunatly they didn't make much bottom end either. This showed up in the popular 186 into Landrover conversion...top speed was down because they couldn't rev as high as the Landrover engine....and they stalled when trying to idle something like a boat up a boatramp because of the lack of bottom end...good for towing though. Woken up and they could move...

Silk,
yep, that's a pretty good description...I was going to buy a landy with a 186 at one stage, but didn't for pretty much what you described.

While I was meandering last night, found this one of a John Bennett modded 144 Falcon Engine from the era.

Must've been some work to get rid of the cast in inlet manifold back in the day. That manifold was as bad a design as the Zephyr exhaust manifold. It might be why the 250 made so much torque low down (max at 1,600rpm)air speed would've been high. Would've like the 2V head for my Falcon, but loved that max torque at converter stall speed - the first 3 metres off the line nothing could touch it....but after that a Corolla would run away from it.

1st year out of Uni I was placed at a town called Yass (people screaming at the footy "Up Yass" was a hoot).

The mech fitter on site set us a challenge to put triple downdrafts on his 250 log manifold...which we did.

I got posted here at the end of that year, butthe challenge was going to be fitting SUs to another log if I stayed

The day before you started this post I was reshearching what happened to an old car of mine. I'd found an old photo of my A40 pickup and posted it on my Facebook page. I'd fitted a 1622 B block into it, sold it to a mate who put a 351 into it and used it on the strip a lot. Last saw it on the dyno of the guy featured in the story.

A good history of drag racing in NZ, I remember going to the Kopuku dirt dragstrip as a teenager, saw Baloo, a Hemi was unseen in those days....boggling. Twin wheel mudgrip tyres on the dragstrip - only in New Zealand.

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood...the-north-shore

All that talk about Baloo and no picture of the car.

scan0093.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back