New HDEO OIls.....a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...we all know that diesel manufacturers are building vehicles with particulate filters and AdBlu, etc....Super Low Emissions....and a demand for low Ash.

We also know that HDEO's...in the past have been phenomenal for motorcycle engines.

I wonder....do the low ash, new formula demands compromise how good new HDEO oils are for a bike engine?

Just thought this would be good conversation.

HDEO is just a more economical lubricant than those at the specific mc fluids, with still good results. If not confortable with the newer formulas, one can get out of CJ4 and Aceas equivalents and stick with CI4s. Theyre still plenty sold, with higher levels of SAPs and also ash add packs, if you like them. What one want in mc oils, being diesel oils as its substitutes, are higher levels AW, EP and lower FM, ss compared to light pcmo.

Last edited:
I made a completely unscientific observation when I ran Shell Rotella 10W-30 semi synthetic in my 2002 Cavalier. The car has a magnetic drain plug and I'm always cleaning off a little black metal shavings (a very small amount). I tried the Rotella this past oil change (had been running Costco Shell 10W-30) and I had less black stuff on my magnet than ever before. I got this oil just because I had some driver reward points I wanted to burn up to experiment with the truck oil, but now I'm sticking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back