Thoughts on 2007 Nissan Sentra 60K for a used car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is looking for his first car (gulp!) and we're eyeing up an 07 Sentra tomorrow morning. What are the weak points I should look for as we take a closer look at the car tomorrow?

I would just avoid the lower end Nissan products...or Nissan in general. But that's my preference only.

it has the CVT, which is concerning. Looking at reviews about this transmission doesn't give me warm fuzzies
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Is your Altima 3.5 giving you trouble??

Must not be what he considers 'lower end.'

Well the CVT has a way to measure when this fluid needs to be changed by a deterioration number of 210,000 in the cars computer system. I've seen people with 60k miles and their deterioration number was less than 58k. There's no requirement for mandatory fluid changes. The Nissan Consult scan tool can get this reading from cars onboard computer. That's what it means by "inspection" in the maintainance guide.

My car has 130k miles with the fluid not being changed in it yet. It runs great. I do plan on pulling out 3 quarts of fluid later this yr and adding new fluid to it. And repeating this process the next 2 yrs.

If one doesn't change the fluid early on and decides to with higher miles then it is not wise to dump all brand new fluid into a CVT. This is due to a great change in the friction coefficient being changed so greatly that it would cause the transmission not work properly. Particulate matter in old fluid creates "grip" for a transmission and increases friction coefficient. Eliminating this all at once with brand new fluid will lower coefficient to point that it causes a slipping issue.

The 2.5s with the CVTs seem to have FAR more trouble than the 3.5s. From what I've read on the Nissan and Infiniti site this seems to be an odd deal. I'm hypothesizing that the 3.5vq motor just mates up better with the CVT and keeps in a better operating zone than the 2.5s.

if it has a 1.8L, watch out. my dad's 03 sentra XE 1.8L had two headgasket failures and many UOA from others with sentra 1.8L had headgasket leaks. Nissan replaced one headgasket under powertrain warranty at the dealer. at 65k, my dad had to pay for the second headgasket repair at the dealer, 5k outside of powertrain warranty. I was not happy! Ignition coils went bad a few times. It would stometimes take a little bit longer to start up. Radiator went bad after 5 years. My dad's sentra lasted until 2014/140k, when it was hit by a crazy woman. Air condition was superb. The 4 speed auto shifted great with drains/fills. oil change is 2 7/8 quarts with a tiny oil filter. I would not recommend a sentra. Nissan customer service played dumb when asking for assistance and nissan dealers won't fix anything under warranty except for one headgasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would just avoid the lower end Nissan products...or Nissan in general. But that's my preference only.

Your mom loves her Nissan Altima, no? I told you to avoid Nissan back then. but you were young back then
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well the CVT has a way to measure when this fluid needs to be changed by a deterioration number of 210,000 in the cars computer system. I've seen people with 60k miles and their deterioration number was less than 58k. There's no requirement for mandatory fluid changes. The Nissan Consult scan tool can get this reading from cars onboard computer. That's what it means by "inspection" in the maintainance guide.

My car has 130k miles with the fluid not being changed in it yet. It runs great. I do plan on pulling out 3 quarts of fluid later this yr and adding new fluid to it. And repeating this process the next 2 yrs.

If one doesn't change the fluid early on and decides to with higher miles then it is not wise to dump all brand new fluid into a CVT. This is due to a great change in the friction coefficient being changed so greatly that it would cause the transmission not work properly. Particulate matter in old fluid creates "grip" for a transmission and increases friction coefficient. Eliminating this all at once with brand new fluid will lower coefficient to point that it causes a slipping issue.

The 2.5s with the CVTs seem to have FAR more trouble than the 3.5s. From what I've read on the Nissan and Infiniti site this seems to be an odd deal. I'm hypothesizing that the 3.5vq motor just mates up better with the CVT and keeps in a better operating zone than the 2.5s.

I prefer to over maintain the CVT. I'd change the fluid every 30k or 3 years. On the B16 Sentra, it's very easy, just undo the bottom drain bolt, and pour the same amount that came out. Easier than most oil changes, only draw-back is getting fluid, since it's dealer only.

I changed the fluid out on my friend's Sentra, and the whine sound it had before, went away.

This is why I always ask the price when we're talking about a used car. At $4k this is a no brainer. Sounds like a great first car.

That's what I figured as the price was low enough. Private sale, garage kept. Good inexpensive car to start with. I'm proud of him. Watching him smile was priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back