How long can unused oil filters sit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!
Not sure if this has been asked before but I am curious. I have 2 oil filters and 2 jugs. I've read that if the jugs are sealed they pretty much can last a long time... but I am wondering about oil filters.

What is the longest period of time you've had oil filters stored for? I ask because of the rubber gasket on the filter, maybe 1 or 2 years in storage is okay? I also want to stock up especially when there are killer deals.

I've used a 20-year old fram without it blowing up. Took its identical twin apart before committing and the guts weren't all dried to dust.

I got four for $.25 at a yard sale.
smile.gif

Store away from humidity or temp swings.

How they are stored impacts shelf life. Iirc one of the filter companies buys back old stock of 8 years old if it reaches that age.

Store inside with controlled humidity as you don't want to get rust forming. You can even coat filters with something like wd40 on the base plate if you're worried.

I put them in the attic in a freezer bag, with dessicant packs inside the bag. If that isn't enough, oh well! There's been a Purolator Classic that came PRE-RUSTED cut open already!

I used a pair of 20 year old Sears Spectrum oil filters with no problems. They were stored in my garage.

In the 1990's I found some 1970's red/white/blue NOS Mopar oil filters for 383/440 engines ($1-$2 each). I used a few of those at the 20-30 year old mark with no apparent problems. Then again, my oil change interval on those collector cars was only 1,000-1,800 miles. I still have a few of those leftover.

I personally wouldn't use anything older than 10 years old unless it's synthetic microglass which will not break down over time. Cellulose can become brittle with age.

A few years ago I bought some of the shiny blue PureOnes off eBay and the gaskets were badly cracked and dry rotted from being stored in a garage. Somehow the eBay seller managed to get Purolator to send him like 5 new gaskets and he mailed them to me, apparently they used to communicate better.

I'd say if kept out of moisture and out of extreme temps, for years. Id worry more about a silicone anti drain back valve or seal getting stiff and warped/cracked.

I have some 8 year old p1s and classics I'm using up with no problems yet.

My garage gets hot as [censored] in the summer. Looks like I'm better off buying one at a time.

A silicone ADBV will last forever compared to nitrile. The base gasket is probably the thing to watch for the most (901Memphis post above), and also rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back