Our cars are due for oil, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been lurking for a while, but finally decided to setup an account. 3/4 of our cars are due for an oil change. Im interested to see if theres any better options out there from what I have been using, and to find out what people recommend for 2 of the cars.

Car 1: 2006 Toyota Corolla - 160k miles
Previously we had been using Penzoil Platinum. At 4k miles or so the engine would get tappy and dip stick would show about half way between Full and low.

Tried Havoline per a recommendation of a mechanic friend. At 5k miles it was completely black. Wife had no complaints about any tapping though.

Recently switched to Mobile 1 and then this last oil change switched for M1EP. Currently at 14800 and running good. Should I go this route again? Someone told me Toyota's do poorly with M1 and anything over 5k on an oil change.

Car 2: 2008 Toyota Prius 80k miles

Purchased this car from my father. Always serviced at Toyota with conventional oil. Manual says 5w30 conventional. Is there a reason not to use synthetic? Can I use M1 0w30 for better MPG?

Car 2: 2013 Tacoma 30k v6 4.0L

Always taken to dealer for free oil changes. Manual says to ONLY use 5w30 convenitonal. Reading on here about people using M1 EP... can I get some clarification?

Im really up for trying anything and looking for some advise. I love working on our cars (especially my build subaru - runs T6) but dont know anything really about oil.

Thanks!

Any name brand properly rated oil of the recommended viscosity will be fine. Oils are that good these days.

You asked for suggestions... have you considered Pennzoil conventional in the yellow bottle? It contains a good percentage of synthetic although it isn't labeled as a synthetic blend. Very good stuff at a good price.

Originally Posted By: MilesToEmpty
Recently switched to Mobile 1 and then this last oil change switched for M1EP. Currently at 14800 and running good. Should I go this route again? Someone told me Toyota's do poorly with M1 and anything over 5k on an oil change.
The Mobil1 Extended Performance 15,000 mile idea is genuine. Keep doing that, but put on a Fram Ultra oil filter if you go that long, since that filter is more robust and filters great for those long runs. Of course, only do up to 1 year time. Also, if you take short trips of less than 8 miles where the engine never gets very hot, then change every 6 months regardless of miles, since cool/cold engines can accumulate acids-sludge etc. Using M1 EP is a good idea, one of the better oils out there.

Purchased this car from my father. Always serviced at Toyota with conventional oil. Manual says 5w30 conventional. Is there a reason not to use synthetic? Can I use M1 0w30 for better MPG?
Using M1 0w-30 AFE oil will only get you maybe a half percent increase in fuel mileage at most, compared to using M1 5w-30 or M1 EP (like your Corolla gets). Depends on if your trips are short, where cool engines dominate, and the 0w-30 would be a slight advantage. I'd just use M1 EP like your Corolla in the Prius here.

I often recommend M1 EP because its got a good percentage of PAO along with the usual GroupIII base oils. Mobil is making a great product with that. Lots of engineering and years go into it, trusted.

Car 2: 2013 Tacoma 30k v6 4.0L

Always taken to dealer for free oil changes. Manual says to ONLY use 5w30 convenitonal. Reading on here about people using M1 EP... can I get some clarification?
You can ALWAYS use a synthetic, and M1 EP is a great one (walmart, right?!). Synthetics act the same as conventional oils, except they leave less piston deposits over time, flow better cold, and resist oxidation/ageing better, all benefits, and they last longer in the sump. Again I'd recommend using a Fram Ultra oil filter for lots of reasons, one tough oil filter that gets out finer particles than most others.

Someone told me Toyota's do poorly with M1 and anything over 5k on an oil change.

Someone is making stuff up. I've owned both my Toyotas since new and have used (almost exclusively) Mobil 1 oil. I do not have excessive consumption or any other issues.

And I run my ECHO to almost 10,000 miles on each OCI. The other one, not so long. But that isn't because of the oil.

Quote:
And I run my ECHO to almost 10,000 miles on each OCI. The other one, not so long. But that isn't because of the oil.

We have a fleet of 15 Prius's where I work. Dealer does 10k OCI with synthetic and they run great.

Previously we had been using Penzoil Platinum. At 4k miles or so the engine would get tappy and dip stick would show about half way between Full and low.

Which viscosity was that ?

Car 1: 2006 Toyota Corolla - 160k miles: Maxlife 5w30 synthetic
Car 2: 2008 Toyota Prius 80k miles: PP or QSUD 5w30
Car 2: 2013 Tacoma 30k v6 4.0L: PP or QSUD 5w30

Last edited:
You can run the same 5w30 synthetic in all three of those cars, it doesn't matter what you buy. However, you seem to like M1 EP, so buy that. Keeping a bunch of different oils around is a nuisance because you always have oddball left overs and multiple open containers for topping off. Just keep a shorter interval on the truck and Prius with doing UOA's, say 10k.

I would not run 15,000 on M1 EP without a UOA on the Corolla. I would run 12,000 though without getting curious.

06 Corolla
M1 EP should be fine again, use a Fram ULTRA.

08 Prius
I would use vanilla Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, although it's not likely to gain you any MPG.

2013 Tacoma
Are you sure you can only use a conventional? If so, Pennzoil gets my vote. If you use synthetic you could just use Mobil 1 but I like Pennz. Platinum a lot.

I would use the same 5W-30 full synthetic in all three.

You like M1, so keep going with that.

If you feel like a change, try Castrol Edge. For me Castrol Edge has always been a quiet oil in the engine, that stays clean on the stick for a long time.

We were
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Which viscosity was that ?

5w30 - I remember switching back and forth between 5 and 10 depending on what was available.

We actually used the yellow bottles up till around 50k before switching to PU.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I like the one oil for all idea. Fram Ultra is the way to go for filters.

Yea would for sure cut down on all the extra oil sitting around. I could just by 3 5qt containers and handle all 3 cars.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I would use the same 5W-30 full synthetic in all three.

You like M1, so keep going with that.

If you feel like a change, try Castrol Edge. For me Castrol Edge has always been a quiet oil in the engine, that stays clean on the stick for a long time.

I'm partial to M1. I hear good things, then bad things but never had any proof. I can say that it's no good in my Subaru after 3k miles. Often 1qt low, tappy, and you could smell hot oil. With Motul I could get to 3.5 comfortably but then it'd be so tappy I would run to Walmart to get whatever was on sale before I could replace. T6 is grand in it, no tapping, 5k easily on it.

I think I'll get one of those oil test kits for the 3 cars to mail off to set a benchmark for oils.

Oh, and what's the deal with ardeca oil? My neighbor that hates M1 swears by it, and the US importer is right next to my Subaru shop.

How long can the QSE go for?

Last edited:
Car 1 - Maxlife red or silver bottle. I have used both with success in the high mileage Fords listed in my sig.
Cars 2 and 3 - Any Amsoil product (like SS or XL) or Schaeffers. I have used both and will continue.

Yes, you could use PYB, which is a great oil, as well as anything off a Wal-Mart shelf but I like a full syn like an Amsoil or a Schaeffer.

Me, I'd put 5W-30 Maxlife in all of them and cruise on. I'd buy on sale and stock up if rebates are happening. No downside. Decent blend. Use good filters and go 6K on changes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Me, I'd put 5W-30 Maxlife in all of them and cruise on. I'd buy on sale and stock up if rebates are happening. No downside. Decent blend. Use good filters and go 6K on changes
smile.gif

I would be happy with this too. I do like Valvoline synblends.

A good 5W-30 for all three, changed at a sensible distance given the actual oil of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back