Toyota 2.4L & AWD Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
So my grandmother is looking for another car. She doesn't really know what she wants yet, but I found a good deal on a 2009 Pontiac Vibe 2.4L AWD. 122k miles. $6200

I know it's a rebadged Toyota Matrix, which is why I'm looking at this car. Many of them have the 1.8L which we know is rock solid.

How is the 2.4L? I know early ones had head bolt issues but what about the newer 2.4L's?

Also, it's an AWD which is a plus, but not if these are known to be unreliable AWD systems, so are they any reliable?

We're in the very early stages of car shopping, so I was just wanting to double check this one before I recommend we go look at it, since its 30 miles away.

Thanks for the help

I have seen some 07-09s with the stripped head bolts. There is a big foam block around the intake manifold near where the head/block meet. Check to see if it's soaked with oil/coolant.

Other problems: Prone to premature water pump, alternator, and starter failures. Also prone to excessive oil consumption due to oil returns on pistons getting clogged with sludge.

Can't speak to the AWD unit as I live in the south.

Edit: just noticed your signature. Sigh. I miss the old 5SFE 2.2L. Great engine.

Last edited:
Those are known to be oil drinkers, but there is an extended warranty on them if the consumption is really bad.

A $15 two day subscription to TIS will give you all of the info that you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Edit: just noticed your signature. Sigh. I miss the old 5SFE 2.2L. Great engine.
Yeah, I love this car. It's incredibly boring, but that's what makes it fantastic. The 5SFE is slow as crud, but very reliable. Awesome on gas too. I'm hoping to put some serious miles on this Camry.

In Arizona, I see no need for the AWD. It is 51*F there today I see. Granted it is going to get in the low 40's today here though.
smile.gif

I like AWD, dont get me wrong.. but honestly it is unnecessary for your region and will be more to maintain and potentially go wrong in the future.

Hmm, if it's AWD a snowbird could have brought it down. Check the carfax.

I rented an automatic 1.8 vibe and found it adequately powered though the tranny was happy to downshift.

The 2.4 in my camry could pull a vibe around, I'm sure.

Nick, unless you and granny are going snowboarding why put her in AWD? Just unneeded stuff to go wrong for her. If it's really nice why not put her in your granny Camry and you rock the Matrix? Or find her a nice RAV if she likes cute utes.

Yeah, I too would opt for a FWD model. My mom had a 2008 Vibe 1.8L , AT, base model from new, until this past spring. She traded it in for a new Camry LE. Like said, it was a rock solid car and easy to maintain. Just not the most pleasant to drive or be in.

The 2.4 FWD would be the way to go. Either in a Vibe or Matrix. They have some nice pep to them compared to the 1.8 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back