Rumor: Honda about to release VTC Actuator fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Youtube video of the cold start-up rattle that my Honda Accord experiences. I've been "fixing" the problem by bump-starting the car one or two times before actually starting it. It's worked 99% of the time.

Many 4 cylinder Honda's experience this problem with their 2.4L engines, which is commonly found in Accord and CRV's.

There are been comments lately of my video claiming that Honda is about to release an ACTUAL fix for this problem. Everyone who's had the VTC Actuator replaced in their car (TSB#09-010) often finds that the "rattle" or "grind" returns in very short order.

Let's hope they get it right this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRo_t_Tlu8

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I've been wondering what that was on my 2005 CR-V. I thought it was the starter occasionally not disengaging properly.

Is it detrimental?

Did you clean the actuator and both oil screens? I think a lot of this issue is related to Honda's OLM and too far extended oil change intervals and the use of one oil filter for multiple oil changes. Plus the level of filtration on their factory filters may need to be stepped up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Did you clean the actuator and both oil screens? I think a lot of this issue is related to Honda's OLM and too far extended oil change intervals and the use of one oil filter for multiple oil changes. Plus the level of filtration on their factory filters may need to be stepped up.

This isn't that problem.

Is it the noise that sounds like the starter didn't disengage? If so, my 2.0 K20A3 does that especially when it's below 30 degrees. Given bad cams before 70k, and if this is an issue too, my next Honda might be a Ford. Honda blew off my cam issue so capitalism tells me my next car won't be a Honda. However, it's like choosing a president...lesser of two evils.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
OUCH.....that noise would make me cringe....

The 2014 CRV in your sig is well known for this issue as well, so pay attention to your car on start up...you may notice you have the issue. It can start out as a faint noise but may become more pronounced over time. Honda says it won't damage anything, hoping that is the case!

Do you know that Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change?

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Do you know that Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change?

that makes sense, the only way to make honda rock catchers efficient is to clog them up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back