cool oil for Royal Enfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcycle in question is a 500cc Long stroke single. Generates enough heat to burn synthetic trousers in summer.

The Engine design in question maybe about 70 years old but now has EFI, Digital ignition and Twin spark and other techtronics thrown in. Company recommends a 15w50. I fear anything thinner will just disappear like magic.

What would be a good oil option to keep this engine cool? Something like Petronas cooltech (Does it work?)

What properties of an engine oil helps dissipate heat in the most efficient manner?

Hi,
devarshi84 - I am aware of the original Royal Enfield Bullet bikes - in 350 and 500 sizes. Great bikes in their day with good suspension systems

Use the viscosity that's recommended and to the OEM's specification (API or ACEA)

In the UK they used to be nick-named Royal Oilfield as they tended to leak oil when hot.

Sorry I can't help with your oil choice.

The new ones are unit construction, talking about EFI and twin spark, he may have one of those. In which case an HDEO would be a good choice. If it's an older pre unit, use the same oil, but anything will do....and I bet it does in India. The original Bullet had a plain big end, I'm not sure if the Indian version carried on with that, or what the new ones have. A roller big end can take a lot of oil abuse.

If they sold one of the old, no fuss ones like they used to here about 20 years ago, I'd be all over it in a second.
wink.gif

Is there exposed oil lines where you could install an oil cooler?.If you can find a way to richen up the fuel mixture, that would cool it down a few degrees. Just changing to another brand of oil won't make a noticeable difference.Sometimes you have to "fix" what the factory thinks is the perfect setup.,,,

It is a UCE engine. The bike does not burn oil

OCI is usually 6 months (about 2500kms or 1800miles)

It has come to my notice that with synth oil the engine sounds quiet with a throat exhaust note but company Dino makes the engine sound little rough with a silent exhaust. This is not a seat of the pants experience but actual difference.

I would measure the oil temperature and include that data in your judgement.

For example my 79 BMW runs very cool to the extent that I have never measured sump oil temperature above 82 Deg even after a long run in the summer. You don't want to know how low the temperature is after my daily commute in the winter. Because of this I use 5W40 rather than 20W50 as at my running temperatures it will be a least as thick as 20W50 would be in an engine that runs hotter. If you are going to run something thinner think about HTHS viscosity and one safe option in that respect might be 15W40 which has a min of 3.7

Originally Posted By: Garak
If they sold one of the old, no fuss ones like they used to here about 20 years ago, I'd be all over it in a second.
wink.gif

They didn't change to the Unit construction until model year 2009. There are plenty of 2008 and older around.

I use 10w60 Castol edge on my old Brit stuff and they run very sweetly on it even in hot weather. If your engine is running hotter than other Enfields then it might be an idea to check the ignition timing. If this is normal on these bikes then if it was mine I would looking at a more free flowing exhaust as this gets the hot exhaust out quicker allowing less time for heat transfer to the exhaust port. Worked for me on my old Chang Jiang.

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
They didn't change to the Unit construction until model year 2009. There are plenty of 2008 and older around.

I'll have to watch, but they're a tad rare here, for whatever reason. They're construction and cost would make them ideal in my mind!

What will be a good option between elf moto4tech 10w50 and mogul 7100 10w50?

Motorcycle has done 10500kms. Currently on petronas semi 15w50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back