grease for washing machine transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back my washing machine smelled like diesel. Finally I got to checking it out and the seal on the bottom of the gearbox wore out and all the oil came out of the gearbox. the seal is not made anymore and even if it was the shaft has a deep groove I it . I can rig up a seal but it probably would not hold oil very well. Can I fill the gearbox with a thin grease such as 00 or 000. I am not sure how thin these are because I have never used a great with that designation. Where can I get some semi liquidy grease for cheap. I have a John Deere dealer near me.

Is the machine making a loud knocking noise while agitating? How about a loud knock at the beginning of the spin cycle? If so, you better start looking for a transmission. I got mine from appliancepros.com and they even have a video on how to install it. By the way, those washing machine transmissions take heavy gear oil.

How old is the machine? If it is fairly old, you might try John Deere corn head grease. It's thicker than oil, thinner than regular grease.

I am thinking a new transmission or washing machine. If it was run for any period of time without the gear oil in the transmission I would not bother trying to fix the old transmission. If the machine is older than 10 years I would get a new(er) one.

People are always selling washing machines & dryers on CL as they move and the new place has them already, etc.

Newer machines without the old style agitator use less water, get clothes cleaner and are easier on your clothes.

The transmission does not make any noises. The washer is probably close to 10 years old. I have no problem buying a new washer I just wanted to see how long I could get by with this one. I hate to get rid of it because of a bad seal.

If all the gear oil has leaked out, it won't last for long. How about posting the brand and model number so I can see what you have ? Searching for appliance parts online is super easy.

It's a ge wwre6260d0ww. I did look for the seals for the transmission but i can only find the whole transmission.

Yep, the whole transmission. $216.44 Looks like it has a case seal and possibly two shaft seals. You can get by with RTV for the case seal, but the shaft seals will have to be real seals because they're subject to motion.

Any Nlgi 000 or 00 Ep lithium grease Will do the trick...

Weld that shaft where it is worn out...get New seal And its done...

If You cant get apropriate seal...add bushing on the shaft And get apropriate seal...

000 is like thicker gearbox oil (Sae 140)

00 is like warm honey...

If you put grease in a top load washing transmission, it will not work. They require oil. The mechanism on the top of the transmission that allows the agitator to oscillate will not work. It will ratchet in one direction. 00 might work, but that would be the thickest I would put in there. I once took a grease injector needle and filled the vent hole with wheel bearing grease on a top load washing transmission. It was a total disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back