Champ PH820-011514ES1 unused cut & post

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valve, if it actually works as designed, wouldn't wash dirt from the element at all. I think it was mainly a cost efficiency measure. High cost efficiency. I wonder if the patent explains the operation in detail. There is a limit on time spent on oil filters though.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The valve, if it actually works as designed, wouldn't wash dirt from the element at all. I think it was mainly a cost efficiency measure. High cost efficiency. I wonder if the patent explains the operation in detail. There is a limit on time spent on oil filters though.

Here's a patent Purolator filed for a combo valve design. Give some insight to the details of how they work - most work in a similar manner where the rubber combo valve has a seal that opens up at a certain delta-p across it, which allows oil to leak past the seal and into the center tube.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20090178964.pdf

Initially, the nitrile combo valve will work as advertised. After the nitrile rubber ages, it may not work as advertised. The ADBV may begin to leak and the filter might spend more time in bypass. So a filter for long OCI maybe better served with a separate relief valve and a silicone ADBV. Speculation on my part.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Initially, the nitrile combo valve will work as advertised. After the nitrile rubber ages, it may not work as advertised. The ADBV may begin to leak and the filter might spend more time in bypass. So a filter for long OCI maybe better served with a separate relief valve and a silicone ADBV. Speculation on my part.

Agree ... and to mention if the combo valve gets hard with use (or super cold in the winter), it could also maybe not flex the same and cause more pressure before the bypass starts to work.

Originally Posted By: Run
The dark spot on the media is not mold or mildew. Its some kind of dye. I seen it on every unused Ecore.

Run, you were exactly right. The spot on the inside of the filter is ink. But under less than perfect lighting it looks like a defect of some kind. The ink is harmless.

This was a good opportunity to add to the analysis.

I had to work relatively hard to pull the end caps off.

Core ID 1.5"
Core OD 1.75"
Core length 2 1/16"
Core description - 5 circular rings 1/16" thick on 1/2" centers; 4 vertical ribs spaced 90 degrees apart.
Media width 2 3/16"
Media length 78"
Media area 170.6 sq in.
52 pleats
Pleat depth 0.75"

I will post a photo of how the bypass holes line up with the core. All 6 are well within the ID of the core.

My biggest concern at this point is the window is too wide. Even so, I likely will use these up. These trump the Motorcraft FL820S as follows: no rust and near perfect pleat spacing. It is obvious Champion Labs is using a corrosion inhibitor. I will have to run them to see if the pleats tend to collapse or not.

At this point, I would say what a nice entry level filter.

The STP S2 and the AC Delco PF1250 have 8 vertical ribs cutting the window in half.

This completes the cut & post on a Champ Labs PH820 oil filter.

dpiaua.jpg

This photo shows the 6 inlet holes are completely within the center tube diameter. It also proves the leaf spring is not part of the bypass function. Only the shape and material properties of the nitrile rubber combo valve.

23uddn6.jpg

This shows the even pleat spacing, the benign dye or ink spots on the outside, the splice with glue and the fiber end caps.
Media width 2 3/16"
Media length 78"
Media area 170.6 sq in.
52 pleats
Pleat depth 0.75"

2nalf1x.jpg

This shows the cage.
Core ID 1.5"
Core OD 1.75"
Core length 2 1/16"
Core description - 5 circular rings 1/16" thick on 1/2" centers; 4 vertical ribs spaced 90 degrees apart.

My biggest concern at this point is the window is too wide. Even so, I likely will use these up. Since the dye or ink spot on the inside of the filter is not of concern. These trump the Motorcraft FL820S as follows: no rust and near perfect pleat spacing. It is obvious Champion Labs is using a corrosion inhibitor. I will have to run them to see if the pleats tend to collapse or not.

It did take some effort to pull the end caps from the filter media. I noticed that some of the pleats were glued together at the core on the thread end cap and the dome end end cap. That would tend to block the flow a little at those 2 points.

This is a quote from Champion Laboratories web site: "Champ filters not only meet, but normally exceed original equipment requirements for fit, function and total replacement value." There is wording to the effect the use of these filters will not change the vehicle manufacturer's warranty on the box.

I think the filter is good through the manufacturer's recommended OCI.

The STP S2 and the AC Delco PF1250 have 8 vertical ribs cutting the window in half. I think this is a step in the right direction for an eCore design like this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I do like the media.. Reminds me of a quality European cartridge filter. I just can't get passed the plastic cage design.

When I pulled the filter apart, I did not think the media was all that thick. I was amazed with the pleat spacing and consistency when compared to the Motorcraft filters.

dpiaua.jpg

This photo shows the 6 inlet holes are completely within the center tube diameter. It also proves the leaf spring is not part of the bypass function. Only the shape and material properties of the nitrile rubber combo valve.

Cool shot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
dpiaua.jpg

Cool shot.

ZeeOSix, you were spot on with your description of the combo valve. I was wrong and here is the proof.

Cheers.
grin.gif

I think pleat spacing and the main plest that attaches on the back that is usually crooked on Purolators is from metal end caps. Now, I understand you can have nice pleating AND metal endcaps, but I think the composition of the center tube (steel or plastic) and end caps (fiber or metallic) can have an effect on the ease of lining everything up hunky dorey.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I think pleat spacing and the main plest that attaches on the back that is usually crooked on Purolators is from metal end caps. Now, I understand you can have nice pleating AND metal endcaps, but I think the composition of the center tube (steel or plastic) and end caps (fiber or metallic) can have an effect on the ease of lining everything up hunky dorey.

For the reason you mentioned, It maybe easier to automate the manufacturing of the eCore design. Automated assembly in turn produces consistent pleat spacing and a lower price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back