why would someone want to pay with a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to carry the card. I find myself as of late not carrying more then a phone and credit card and see this as next transition.

Because the incentives make it worthwhile? Boloco was running a promo earlier for today only, $5 off your purchase if you pay by phone.

Why would you want to carry plastic cards around with you when you can just use your smartphone. I almost never use cash.

Stupid idea. I still have to carry my card because there is a good chance the merchant doesn't know how or isn't able to process a phone transaction. Am I going to hand the waiter my phone? Even if they do accept the phone, I still have to pull something out of my pants - what's the difference if it is my phone or a card?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Stupid idea. I still have to carry my card because there is a good chance the merchant doesn't know how or isn't able to process a phone transaction. Am I going to hand the waiter my phone? Even if they do accept the phone, I still have to pull something out of my pants - what's the difference if it is my phone or a card?

Yeah, today. Next year or two, probably all merchants will have this technology.

Hopefully, we'll get more secure with credit cards transactions and the waiter will bring the machine to your table like they do in Europe.

I'm for high tech as much as anyone, but if there is no reason other than to be trendy it becomes silly.

Are the limits similar to credit cards in 10s of thousands?

Look at all the computing power and bandwidth being used to keep up with the high school people you couldn't stand to begin with.

Computing and communications should be used to solve the great problems of our times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Because people think theyre high tech and hip?

Yes, the same reason they think it's a wonderful replacement for an alarm clock, a calendar, and a camera, when, in reality, it does all those quite poorly. Well, a calendar isn't a big deal and it's hard to screw that up.

Why do you care? Isn't it their business and not yours? Their choice and not yours?

Check this out: I was recently stuck in line (along with several other people) while a woman both wanted to pay with her phone AND have the clerk attempt to scan her phone screen to take advantage of a coupon!

She went on for about 10min. while the line backed up, before she gave up. I'm not sure if it's even possible to laser scan a phone touch screen, is it?

Originally Posted By: Garak

Yes, the same reason they think it's a wonderful replacement for an alarm clock, a calendar, and a camera, when, in reality, it does all those quite poorly. Well, a calendar isn't a big deal and it's hard to screw that up.

All of those features make sense. I have no interest in paying for anything at a point of sale terminal with my phone, I have that icon hidden away.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Check this out: I was recently stuck in line (along with several other people) while a woman both wanted to pay with her phone AND have the clerk attempt to scan her phone screen to take advantage of a coupon!

She went on for about 10min. while the line backed up, before she gave up. I'm not sure if it's even possible to laser scan a phone touch screen, is it?

You can scan the screen for all the loyalty cards, that is a nice feature
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Why do you care? Isn't it their business and not yours? Their choice and not yours?

I've never considered you a worthy adversary to debate anything.

Nor anyone else with pops gramps or antique in their username.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
All of those features make sense.

Within reason, and only from a convenience standpoint. If you tried to sell me an alarm clock that had a one day battery life and only kept accurate time where cell phone coverage was, I'd tell you to jump in the lake.

1. Phone is always accessible. Cards are buried in wallets+pockets or purses.
2. Phone is more secure and not subject to scanner fraud
3. I don't always carry cards but always carry phone.
4. Only one hand required.
5. Faster, no manual pin input, zip code input, or swipe errors.
6. Something different.
7. I use app for coupons and already have it out at the grocery store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back