Honda gvc160 Timing Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new trim mower and discovered after the fact that this engine has a timing belt. Honda claims it is a major design improvement which should last the life of the engine. I am skeptical as usual. Can anyone speak to the reliability of these timing belts? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Bathed in oil if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Honda claims this is a major improvement over external tb's which fall victim to dirt.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've heard of one failing. I think someone posted one here a year or two ago where the belt slipped off the cam gear.

I have a GCV160 from 2003 and it still runs like a top. I don't worry about the timing belt a bit.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
My 14 year old mower with a gcv160 has no timing belt issues.

Thanks for all of the replies. I thought the internal TB was a brand new innovation. Had no idea it had been around so long. Guess I'll have to find something else to worry about!

Last edited:
I have a GCV160 engine on my mower that has been in service for 10 years. Since I'm in Southern California, the mower gets used all year. Other than having to replace the carburetor last year, it's been a good engine.

I've got a GCV160 from 1999. I bought it new. Changed the oil maybe 4x and the air filter and plug once. Still the best performing mower engine I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back