Best oil filter for Toyota 1GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4Runner uses a canister setup (the newer ones have cartridge filters, I believe). I've always used PureOne 20195s or Fram Ultra 3600s. Both are the larger size filter.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
My 4Runner uses a canister setup (the newer ones have cartridge filters, I believe). I've always used PureOne 20195s or Fram Ultra 3600s. Both are the larger size filter.

I've looked at the PureOne 20195 but according to toyota the oil pressure at idle is 4.3psi and at 3,000rpm the oil pressure is 43 to 85 psi.
while the pressure relief valve on the PureOne 20195 opens at 12-15psi. So it would filter at idle and bypass the filter element when accelerating.

I am looking for a filter that filters most times.

I only use oem for my 4.0 but honestly for no particular reason. I get them for less then 5 bucks on Amazon and less if you buy them in bulk. I have seen multiple comparisons on different Tacoma forums which all say the oem is better than any aftermarket. On Tacomaworld there is a guy who has over 400,000 miles who only used oem filters and regular Mobil 1 5w30.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Which is the best oil filter for the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 engine?

1 - welcome to the site
welcome2.gif

2 - posted in the wrong area; I'll move it for you

3 - there is no "best" filter; too many variables that you've not discovered, discussed and defined. There are many good ones. Spend some time in our filter section.

I've looked at the PureOne 20195 but according to toyota the oil pressure at idle is 4.3psi and at 3,000rpm the oil pressure is 43 to 85 psi.
while the pressure relief valve on the PureOne 20195 opens at 12-15psi. So it would filter at idle and bypass the filter element when accelerating.

The oil pressure spec you are calling out from the Toyota service manual has nothing to do with the filter's bypass valve setting. Totally two different things.

I use to use the Purolator PL20195, but not switched to the Ultra XG3600 on my Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: Oey12
I only use oem for my 4.0 but honestly for no particular reason. I get them for less then 5 bucks on Amazon and less if you buy them in bulk. I have seen multiple comparisons on different Tacoma forums which all say the oem is better than any aftermarket. On Tacomaworld there is a guy who has over 400,000 miles who only used oem filters and regular Mobil 1 5w30.

My suggestion as well. OEM.

I have seen multiple comparisons on different Tacoma forums which all say the oem is better than any aftermarket.

Not what from what I've seen.

Filters are an interesting subject. Is it possible to say if a finer filtering filters will give more engine life as compared to how the vehicle is operated and maintained? Will most people keep the vehicle long enough to see the difference before the car gets totalled. rots away or gets junked because of a $5,000.00 trans rebuild cost on a 15 year old vehicle?

filter by pass valve works on the pressure differential between the unfiltered side of the elememt and the filtered side of the element.

You don't understand how a relief valve works, as another poster pointed out it's the drop across the filter element which triggers the bypass, not the total system pressure.

Last edited:
I have seen multiple comparisons on different Tacoma forums which all say the oem is better than any aftermarket.

Better how? Better price? Better filtration? Better colors? Better aesthetics? Better flow? Better availability?

I still don't see anything that make it "better than any aftermarket." It's a competent filter. But, I bet there are filters that are better at efficiency, others that are better at price, and some that are far, far superior at availability.

It is a fantastic thread, with some great cut open filters, some nice data, and all the stuff we like seeing here. But, "best" is pretty darned subjective. For me, the best filter would have features that include the large catalog of Wix, the cost what I pay for Bosch Premium or certain Wix part numbers, filtration of the Bosch Premium or Fram Ultra, the coil spring of the Wix or Hastings, the silicone ADBV, the thread end bypass, and the availability of the Fram orange can, a metal centre tube and end caps, and careful attention to detail on QC matters, and complete backing by the vehicle OEM. Of course, such a filter doesn't exist, and I have to sacrifice one or more features, no matter what I purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back