Mobil 1 has highest film strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.
It's also the noisiest engine oil with the highest iron wear numbers.
Only in your engines
grin.gif

The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.

Noise comes from metal parts hitting each other. How can it be noisy with the highest film strength? I smell [censored].

Noise comes from metal parts hitting each other. How can it be noisy with the highest film strength? I smell [censored].

How's the civic running?

According to these measurements , the film strength of Mobil 1 5W30 advanced synthetic is 117,799 psi.

The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.From what I understand film strength is measured by squeezing 2 ball bearings together with a film of oil in between. The force with which the balls are squeezed is gradually increased until current passes through, meaning there is metal-to-metal contact.

How do you know that about the Rat's secret test procedure ?

How does he calculate the psi to 6 significant figures, when the ASTM test for greases (which is what these tests are for) only works in 200lb increments, and only allows you to claim the last load that it DIDN'T fail at ?

What is his definition of "film strength", and what does it have to do with hydrodynamic film thickness in engines ?

Is steel on steel representative of mixed metals like bearings ?

He claims that the test has nothing to do with any part in an engine, but that his results tell you everything that you need to know about oil and engine wear.

Why does he completely discount HTHS in his ultimate wear testing, when all OEMS and certifying agencies have it as one of the key parameters in their certifications ?

Given that he's been around a while, why do the oil companies and OEMS stick to expensive to run engine tests, when he could save them 99c in their dollar of testing ?

He claims that his stove top smoke point is analogous and superior to the formal NOACK procedure...again, if this was the case, why did industry end up so far off the mark ?

If I had a (secret) Rat machine that I didn't want to wear out, I'd use what his test machines shows the lowest wear in that machine.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Troll post?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I read most of this article and find it interesting, I wouldn't be quick to discredit the article either, not much of what he says goes against what is said here on BITOG.
Its worth the read IMO.

Ditto. Constructive answers are few and far between.

Hmm, didn't know that the test had been posted before, then has critically analysed hundreds of posts and doesn't find any constructive.

I think you nailed it.

Noise comes from metal parts hitting each other. How can it be noisy with the highest film strength?

Good question. Mobil 1 5W-30 still finds a way to be the noisiest engine oil in world history.

Shannow covered most of my objections. Six significant figures and no error analysis? Right. I don't know of anyone in science or engineering who would dare publish results to six significant figures without an error analysis, or even one significant figure without an error analysis. We have no methodology, either.

And, it has nothing to do with what actually goes on inside an engine yet has some instructive value? HTHS is dismissed? He should buy a diesel and run his ILSAC rated oil during some hard work, relying only on "film strength" and let us know how that turns out.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
According to these measurements , the film strength of Mobil 1 5W30 advanced synthetic is 117,799 psi.

The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.From what I understand film strength is measured by squeezing 2 ball bearings together with a film of oil in between. The force with which the balls are squeezed is gradually increased until current passes through, meaning there is metal-to-metal contact.

How do you know that about the Rat's secret test procedure ?

How does he calculate the psi to 6 significant figures, when the ASTM test for greases (which is what these tests are for) only works in 200lb increments, and only allows you to claim the last load that it DIDN'T fail at ?

What is his definition of "film strength", and what does it have to do with hydrodynamic film thickness in engines ?

Is steel on steel representative of mixed metals like bearings ?

He claims that the test has nothing to do with any part in an engine, but that his results tell you everything that you need to know about oil and engine wear.

Why does he completely discount HTHS in his ultimate wear testing, when all OEMS and certifying agencies have it as one of the key parameters in their certifications ?

Given that he's been around a while, why do the oil companies and OEMS stick to expensive to run engine tests, when he could save them 99c in their dollar of testing ?

He claims that his stove top smoke point is analogous and superior to the formal NOACK procedure...again, if this was the case, why did industry end up so far off the mark ?

If I had a (secret) Rat machine that I didn't want to wear out, I'd use what his test machines shows the lowest wear in that machine.

Been into this extensively on other threads on Bitog and elsewhere... 540 RAT and I have corresponded on a number of occasions and he has tested oils that I was interested in. I will not say his testing is bogus. Any testing that tells us anything has some value
smile.gif

The biggest issue he was, and is testing for, is for those of us building flat tappet cam engines. And that was what RAT was trying to help solve - cam and lifter failures.... Mostly for his roundy round race buddies and customers. He does not sell oils or additives, but diagnostic services...

His test do not really apply to most aspects of an internal engine, but seem to relate to cams and lifters (steel on steel) fairly well. And for that I look for a good oil that interests me, is well received here on Bitog, AND is in the top third of RAT's list. I feel confident that any of his well rated oils are, in fact, just that - well made lubricants
smile.gif

I do not see a downside to considering his information. If you are an RP fan it didn't do to well, well you got some pondering to do... Me, I'm a Chevron, QSUD, Maxlife, VR-1, Delvac guy and I don't see anywhere that my choices are bad for the applications I'm applying them in. Either in discussion here on Bitog, or in communication with RAT
smile.gif

Take it with a grain of salt and use the info as one input in your decision making process ...

Don't get all caught up in his calculator read-out descriptions. He's trying to get relative rankings, so he takes the math as far as it need to go to separate the various oils. His numbers are not valid for actual internal engine loads on components (which is why he says they do not correspond to actual engine situations...).

Originally Posted By: Garak
HTHS is dismissed? He should buy a diesel and run his ILSAC rated oil during some hard work, relying only on "film strength" and let us know how that turns out.

Well said, if he did that and then worked the truck hard for 100,000 miles, that would impress me.

Okay, what's it telling us? Tell me the methodology and error bars, first. As it stands, his testing is more secretive than that of the oil companies. At least their testing is reviewed by licensing organizations and can be repeated by people with the facilities to do so.

You should get caught up in the math on this. You cannot do relative rankings if you cannot account for the margin of error. Two data points that are within each other's margin of error are the same data, and have no relative difference or "ranking." And foisting six significant figures upon me makes me question his mathematical skills.

Well, counting isn't good enough. I want him to explain why two "adjacent" oils are different, when my estimation of the error bars would indicate they're indistinguishable.

SR5: Agreed, or he can run a Porsche or something else calling for high HTHS at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a nice, "high film strength" ILSAC lube.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Okay, what's it telling us? Tell me the methodology and error bars, first. As it stands, his testing is more secretive than that of the oil companies. At least their testing is reviewed by licensing organizations and can be repeated by people with the facilities to do so.

You should get caught up in the math on this. You cannot do relative rankings if you cannot account for the margin of error. Two data points that are within each other's margin of error are the same data, and have no relative difference or "ranking." And foisting six significant figures upon me makes me question his mathematical skills.

Other thread I gave a link to the ASTM test protocol for the actual 4 ball test (that's for greases and gears). The test protocol limits the resolution of the test to a number of bands, which are NOT single psi increments, and the highest band that you can claim is the band lower than the one that it failed in.

here it is again
http://www.shxf17.com/pdf/ASTMD2596-97.pdf

Bear in mind this is an actual standardised test, that has been analysed to pieces...it gives the repeatability of 35% of the reading, and a reproducability of 78%.

Assuming Rat's secret protocol is similarly constructed, anything from 85,000 to 115,000 is statistically the same, and 111,123 is nonsense.

If he's got the errors down to 0.001 as his use of the number suggests, the ASTM test that arises will make him a rich man.

Most rudimentary part of his test is measuring the area of the wear scar...he's already introduced 0.2% error if he measures the scar at room temperature versus 100C in the machine...there's the last 3 sig figures gone...no idea how accurate the scar measurements themselves are.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Been into this extensively on other threads on Bitog and elsewhere... 540 RAT and I have corresponded on a number of occasions and he has tested oils that I was interested in. I will not say his testing is bogus. Any testing that tells us anything has some value
smile.gif

The biggest issue he was, and is testing for, is for those of us building flat tappet cam engines. And that was what RAT was trying to help solve - cam and lifter failures.... Mostly for his roundy round race buddies and customers. He does not sell oils or additives, but diagnostic services...

If (and that's if), he's trying to solve for cam/lifter, then why does he declare in his HTHS section that a parameter that's clearly bearing protection is irrelevant as his test doesn't see any change ?

His statement that clearly GM should have stuck to the lower wearing 5W30 and not 0W40...

Smoke point and cam protection ?

The blog is all over the shop with misinformation, and "my machine doesn't show it"..."so therefore it's irrelevant to WEAR" (wear, not cam wear).

His data is bogus and fools continue to fall for it. I wonder if it is RAT troll posting to drive viewers?

You guys want this to be out in the open? Post this on a racing forum,where they actually have data from engine tear downs,etc and you'll see what kind of a joke this Rat "Testing" is.

I can not believe this garbage is still being posted....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back