Any experience with 98-02 corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor down the street has a 2000 corolla he is selling $1500, has 70k miles on a rebuilt engine. I don't care about the paint, dings, etc because this will be my beater car if a buy it. The odo reads 210k miles. He is asking $1500. Needs 2 tires but everything else is ok. Your thoughts

They burn oil, so check the dipstick to make sure it even has oil in it. Other than that they're solid as a rock. Sounds like a good deal.

I picked up an 02 for $500, needs tinkering. Also needs dutiful checking of the dipstick.

I also have a camry and the corolla is no 9/10 scale camry. Corolla is built to a price point and is about the quality of a Saturn S-series or even worse. Tinny doors, numb front end...

If you like working on them they're laid out okay. I'm doing brake and fuel lines b/c of salt, but you're not in the rust belt.

I have the 4-speed auto; still reads PRND2L but has an OD off button on the shifter.

I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow. I also found a 97 corolla that has 170k miles for $1500 that I'm gonna check out. I know they don't burn as much oil as the 98-02.

Totally different engine here.

1997 was the last year with the 4A-FE (1.6L) or 7A-FE (1.8L) engine.

That engine is bulletproof, but does have a timing belt, not the chain in the 1ZZ-FE found in Corollas starting in 1998.

It's not without faults. The exhaust manifold cracking is a common problem. Don't know if it was still a problem for the '97.

But that wouldn't keep you stranded on the side of the road.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow. I also found a 97 corolla that has 170k miles for $1500 that I'm gonna check out. I know they don't burn as much oil as the 98-02.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
As stated above, the 97 and older Corollas were timing belt motors if that bothers you.

These Corollas were available with a 3 speed or 4 speed automatic.

The way to tell the difference, is the 4 speed automatic ones have an overdrive button on the shifter, kind of hiding on the left side underneath.

usually those engines run about 300,000 miles why was it rebuilt and more important who rebuilt it?
In the meantime look for a 98-99 with overdrive those are the better years.

i have an 01 corolla with the 4 speed auto

only oil consumption is leaking timing cover, otherwise consumption is nil

I do keep synthetic in it, though. The lower volatility seems to help these.

take it to a trusted shop for a once over inspection, that age its no doubt has worn suspension bits in the front and back. also be sure to test drive it for roughly 1 hour and 30 miles to make sure no surprise CEL's popup because the seller cleared the ECU before you test drove it. (failing emissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back