06 Elantra rough start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I've got a 2006 Elantra with 102,xxx miles. When starting the car, especially a cold start, it ignition is rough, sometimes a jolt. It runs fine after that. Any idea what might be the issue?

FYI, i replaced the spark plugs in August or so.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd say tired plug wires. Blue NGK's are a good replacement. Running a tank of Techron cleaner to clean up any gunk in the fuel system isn't a bad idea either. What plugs did you put in BTW?

Last edited:
I don't remember off the top of my head the name of the plug, but it's the one that is supposed to be in. The reason I changed it back in August is because there was a separate issue that was corrected with the new plugs. I'll throw some techron in there on my next fill-up just in case, but I always use top-tier gas and usually throw in some techron every 6-9 months.

Last edited:
Check to see if you're on the list to replace a failing engine. You're description is a good fit.

My daughter just got her Sonata back with a brand new engine.

Her problem was hard starting and rough running for a few minutes. It progressed to stopping at odd times and not restarting. Then it was off to the dealer on a tow truck. The whole process from just hard starting to dead engine was just over two weeks.

It took 2 months. Now she's trying to get two new dents fixed. When she got the car back the fuel warning light was on and blinking, the car was dirty, greasy hand prints on the doors, hood and fenders and those two dents. I guess the warranty does not cover cleaning up after the job is complete. The dealer did bend over backwards and put in a dollar's worth of gas to get them to the nearest gas station. Nothing like customer service to keep them coming back.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Check to see if you're on the list to replace a failing engine. You're description is a good fit.

My daughter just got her Sonata back with a brand new engine.

Her problem was hard starting and rough running for a few minutes. It progressed to stopping at odd times and not restarting. Then it was off to the dealer on a tow truck. The whole process from just hard starting to dead engine was just over two weeks.

I'll check the list and see, but for me, it's only the starting. It doesn't run rough at all. Plus, it has been doing this for about a year now and hasn't gotten worse.

Last edited:
Do you mean a jolt when the ignition first catches? If so, maybe check the motor mounts.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Clean its trottle body

Tried it
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: neo3

Do you mean a jolt when the ignition first catches? If so, maybe check the motor mounts.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, when I'm sitting at red lights, there is a vibration sound coming from the engine bay. Could this be from a bad motor mount as well?

Originally Posted By: dan765
Originally Posted By: neo3

Hmmm, now that I think about it, when I'm sitting at red lights, there is a vibration sound coming from the engine bay. Could this be from a bad motor mount as well?

Yes, check the front and rear motor mounts, passanger side may also be suspect. probably torn/cracked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back