A guy at the gym.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That I talk to once in a while was there last night. He is a fairly liberal D and I am a conservative R...but we are both gun owners and shooters (he owns over 25 guns) so we have some things in common. All in all he is a pretty nice guy.

So last night we start talking about the universal background check deal proposed and he says it is really important that the govt. is able to screen mentally ill people from buying/possessing guns. He further goes onto the CHL topic and says it s really important to screen those applicants as well because he has an immediate female relative who is manic depressive and is on medication has been hospitalized and has a CHL and several firearms...
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Ok so I said "she must have lied on the 4473 and CHL application right?" and he replies "Of course".
crazy2.gif

So, now I am shocked out of my mind. I asked him if he had considered intervening in any fashion to prevent her from shooting herself or someone else. He became real agitated and told me to get lost.

Ok so like am I living in "Pollyannaville" or is this the stuff crazy mass shootings are made of?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
That I talk to once in a while was there last night. He is a fairly liberal D and I am a conservative R...but we are both gun owners and shooters (he owns over 25 guns) so we have some things in common. All in all he is a pretty nice guy.

So last night we start talking about the universal background check deal proposed and he says it is really important that the govt. is able to screen mentally ill people from buying/possessing guns. He further goes onto the CHL topic and says it s really important to screen those applicants as well because he has an immediate female relative who is manic depressive and is on medication has been hospitalized and has a CHL and several firearms...
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Ok so I said "she must have lied on the 4473 and CHL application right?" and he replies "Of course".
crazy2.gif

So, now I am shocked out of my mind. I asked him if he had considered intervening in any fashion to prevent her from shooting herself or someone else. He became real agitated and told me to get lost.

Ok so like am I living in "Pollyannaville" or is this the stuff crazy mass shootings are made of?
21.gif

The ACLU opposes imposing backround checks which involve tracking mental illness. The left will tell you it's "more fair" to take everyone's guns away than to "single out" the mentally ill. This is the fight we've forced into fighting by the left.

Obama, Bloomberg, and the rest of the lefties have been THE BEST gun salesmen EVER. Every time they open their mouths, gun sales spike! They are too stupid to figure this out. Keep talkin', O!

It's a slippery slope. There are some anti-depressants prescribed solely for insomnia. Should those people be denied firearms? Do you want the government looking in to your personal health history to determined if your depressed or just have a hard time sleeping?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
It's a slippery slope. There are some anti-depressants prescribed solely for insomnia. Should those people be denied firearms? Do you want the government looking in to your personal health history to determined if your depressed or just have a hard time sleeping?

Ok you made a point....but it's not really a relevant one.Most insomniacs are not violent. It's the schizophrenic manic ones who come out of the shadows when they fall off their meds that I am talking about. I haven't heard of anyone labeling insomniacs as "mentally ill"....Have you?

Plus the government would not be "looking into" your history. You would be flagged in the NICS system for being adjudicated mentally ill or diagnosed by a mental health professional with either an MD or Phd in psychiatric practice. The NICS system is not accessible to the outside world. (employment or credit checks etc.)

Last edited:
Most gun violence is not because of mental illness. It's a red herring to distract from any meaningful dialogue.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Most gun violence is not because of mental illness. It's a red herring to distract from any meaningful dialogue.

Of the 30,000 annual gun deaths 66% are suicides....so I beg to differ with you.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine owns a gun store with an indoor range that specializes in ARs, AKs, and the like. He was a former LEO and govt. contractor and I have seen him kick people out of the store that do not pass the sniff test.

One of the times I was there I was picking up my Five-SeveN and my friend was picking up his ACR. This kid, maybe 18 or so, kept grabbing them off the display case while we were finishing paperwork. The dad was asking the owner about how to secure a gun with a person with mental illness in the house. The owner said "Don't have one, he will kill you and open the safe and kill people. On that note, both you and your son need to leave my store and buy from someone else."

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
A good friend of mine owns a gun store with an indoor range that specializes in ARs, AKs, and the like. He was a former LEO and govt. contractor and I have seen him kick people out of the store that do not pass the sniff test.

One of the times I was there I was picking up my Five-SeveN and my friend was picking up his ACR. This kid, maybe 18 or so, kept grabbing them off the display case while we were finishing paperwork. The dad was asking the owner about how to secure a gun with a person with mental illness in the house. The owner said "Don't have one, he will kill you and open the safe and kill people. On that note, both you and your son need to leave my store and buy from someone else."

lol.gif
lol.gif
At least the guy is socially responsible.

Last edited:
Wonder how the guy will feel if she does something crazy with a gun, to his loved ones.

Same situation exists with elderly parents driving beyond their ability. Often their kids don't want to deal with ma or pa on this 'freedom issue', or kids don't want to get stuck shuttling if the parents license is revoked.

Net result is same, car is loaded weapon in wrong hands.

lol.gif
lol.gif
At least the guy is socially responsible.

At least at the stores here the owners usually have some law enforcement background so they will refuse to sell to people that seem weird. Of course that didn't work in the case of the Supreme Gentleman that ran over kids in Isla Vista and then off'd himself, but the store he went to is super sketchy,

If the liberals decide to take guns away from everyone that is taking uppers or downers they'll just about get everyone.

Our healthcare system can't do anything for you if you don't take your pills and get your shots.

And with our new healthcare system all your previously private records are now available so you'll be on the list sooner or later.

Don't worry. If you get nervous about all this you can just increase your dose.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INVOLUNTARILY COMMITTED TO A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE FACILITY FOR A MENTAL HEALTH CONDITION OR OTHER TREATMENT, OR ADJUDICATED INCOMPETENT/INCAPACITATED?

Here is the question asked in Pa. Ridiculous question. No mention of being "cured" and "mental heal condition"?. And "Other Condition". A lame question deserves a "lame response".

Bottom line no one can really definitely prove that even a small percentage of people that could possibly do a bad thing with a firearm are "insane"....let alone the government. The only way to get around it is to issue CHL's to no one and that will never fly. Dream on lefties.

Last edited:

Of the 30,000 annual gun deaths 66% are suicides....so I beg to differ with you.
People should be able to kill themselves be it gun. auto racing ,skydiving ,racing the isle of man TT , medical malpractice, drowning diseases,etc. It leaves more room for the illegal aliens.

Reality isnt usually something D's worry too much about whether its analysys of the problem or implementation of a solution so long as everyone FEELS like something is being done.

That "Nice Guy" does have a responsibility to help keep his/her neighbors safe. If that same nice guy dope had his kid murdered by the nut next door he'll probably be the first one to whine for more big brother state so he can shift his guilt away from himself. which again seems to be a trait of the D mentality.

So? If they were intent on killing themselves, they would have used a rope, pills, booze, knife, whatever was available. The gun was simply the easiest.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

So? If they were intent on killing themselves, they would have used a rope, pills, booze, knife, whatever was available. The gun was simply the easiest.

And YOUR point is...? What you said doesn't make Doog's statement untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back