Mobil 1 has highest film strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to these measurements , the film strength of Mobil 1 5W30 advanced synthetic is 117,799 psi.

The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.From what I understand film strength is measured by squeezing 2 ball bearings together with a film of oil in between. The force with which the balls are squeezed is gradually increased until current passes through, meaning there is metal-to-metal contact.

From my understanding film strength is a representative measurement of how well an oil prevents reciprocating metal parts from hitting each other and wear out.

But I'm not a lubricant scientist, and since there seems to be very knowledgeable folks in here, I figured I'd ask:

Given the correct viscosity, right amount of detergents and 5,000 mile OCI, is film strength a good measurement of protection against engine wear ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
From what I understand film strength is measured by squeezing 2 ball bearings together with a film of oil in between. The force with which the balls are squeezed is gradually increased until current passes through, meaning there is metal-to-metal contact.

From my understanding film strength is a representative measurement of how well an oil prevents reciprocating metal parts from hitting each other and wear out.

Are there any ball bearings floating around in your engine?

If there are, choosing an engine oil is probably the least of your problems.

Welcome to BITOG. I suggest you do a search. This particular "test" has been beaten to death here hundreds of times before.

Just think how many times that piston goes up and down in the cylinder when you drive from Boston to Miami at 85mph.

I am not so quick to discredit this test as not representative of film strength. I think it might be better to have the test preformed at a running bearing temp. What other film strength tests are available that would be a better test? Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What other film strength tests are available that would be a better test? Ed

The OP appears to be interested in film strength from a wear perspective. So if you are after wear, then how about the basic Sequence IVA engine test that's already part of API/ILSAC specification?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
From what I understand film strength is measured by squeezing 2 ball bearings together with a film of oil in between. The force with which the balls are squeezed is gradually increased until current passes through, meaning there is metal-to-metal contact.

Welcome to BITOG. I suggest you do a search. This particular "test" has been beaten to death here hundreds of times before.

Actually I posted this because this doesn't show up in the search results. Link?

Roller rocker arms .roller cam. The valve train has pretty high pressures

Roller lifters , roller rockers .How about the valve train and timing chain?

I read most of this article and find it interesting, I wouldn't be quick to discredit the article either, not much of what he says goes against what is said here on BITOG.
Its worth the read IMO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I read most of this article and find it interesting, I wouldn't be quick to discredit the article either, not much of what he says goes against what is said here on BITOG.
Its worth the read IMO.

Ditto. Constructive answers are few and far between.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Welcome back bro

This one is tough, there are several to pick from.

What's your best guess?

The study measured the film strength of 174 different oils and 5W30 Mobil 1 came on top.

It's also the noisiest engine oil with the highest iron wear numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back