Fram XG2 vs Motorcraft 820s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning an oil change on 2001 Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC. Thinking about trying Fram XG2 instead of the usual 820s from Motorcraft. I have 106,250 miles on the engine and I have never used Fram filters on it. Does the Fram Ultra XG2 deserve a shot this OCI?

If you have the room to maneuver the filter use the ultra so far the ultra seems pretty good... Anything made by the filter company that has all the tears is junk... The only reason i still use the Motorcraft on a Grand Marquis is because there is almost no room to maneuver the filter and the ultra is a little longer than the Motorcraft.
I use the ultra on the rest of my fords with no problems yet.

Yes, fram ultra is the best I've found in my research.
Check out the wire-backed all-synthetic media, the silicon ADBV, best 4548-12 results I've seen.

Motorcraft FL820S is a Purolator product known for tearing, rust inside, and wide pleat spacing near the media join, all not good.

As for flow most say the ultra is king between these two filters but im still not totally convinced... I saw many charts that say the same thing but who knows who really made the charts and what the agenda was when that person was making the charts..

In the meantime i am using the ultra on most of my vehicles. As i said before the ultra is the only oil filter i would use that is made by fram.

Been using FUS for several years now. Sometimes leaving them on for 2 OCI's. Only issue... if you want to call it one... is the sure grip... makes me tend to over tighten them by hand, need a wrench to get them off later. Be careful tightening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doolah02
Would the Mobil 1 filter be along the same category as the Fram Ultra filters?

Not even close, its a semi-synthetic media with no wire backing. The filters that ARE comparable to the Ultra are things like the Purolator Boss, Royal Purple, Amsoil EAO, and other wire (or plastic mesh)-backed synthetic media filters.

Thanks guys for the filter education I just got, had no idea I had been using inferior oil filters all these years! Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
As for flow most say the ultra is king between these two filters but im still not totally convinced... I saw many charts that say the same thing but who knows who really made the charts and what the agenda was when that person was making the charts..

In the meantime i am using the ultra on most of my vehicles. As i said before the ultra is the only oil filter i would use that is made by fram.
"Anything" is a absurd statement. There have been several postings with photos of Frams with tears recently. Your bloviating is especially absurd when read by someone with 340,000 miles on a Toyota using Puro filters.

Last edited:
You have been using a very good filter in Motorcraft.
It's not quite as good as an Ultra but good enough for most applications.
If you want to spend twice the money on an Ultra or the like,I would use it for 2 changes.

I am using Kendall High Mileage oil which is very good, but I may have to go with a full synthetic in order to go with a 2 OCI.

Originally Posted By: doolah02
Planning an oil change on 2001 Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC. Thinking about trying Fram XG2 instead of the usual 820s from Motorcraft. I have 106,250 miles on the engine and I have never used Fram filters on it. Does the Fram Ultra XG2 deserve a shot this OCI?

Yes.

The Motorcraft FL-820S is a suspect filter. I have seen rust and uneven pleat spacing which potentially lead to a tear.

Motorcraft FL820S cut open Date code: 904121217

This one is new
Cut Open New Motorcraft FL-820S

Moving away from the Motorcraft 820S is a good move in spite of what others are saying.

I do not have any experience with the Fram Ultra yet.

There are people on the board who run Fram Extra Guards, Fram Tough Guards and Fram Ultras without issue. I think maybe the Fram sales pitch is very close to accurate.

Fram Extra Guard - 3000 to 5000 miles
Fram Tough Guard - 6000 to 1000 miles
Fram Ultra Synthetic - to 15000 miles.

If you can get past the eCore plastic core thing then I think STP S2 and AC Delco PF1250 might be useful.

I have a PF1250 on the Ranger right now and it is purring like a kitten. The same technology is being used on GM engines with OLMs that trip at 7500 miles max.

The plastic cage is now better than it used to be.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

"Anything" is a absurd statement. There have been several postings with photos of Frams with tears recently. Your bloviating is especially absurd when read by someone with 340,000 miles on a Toyota using Puro filters.

HerrStig is correct. Some filter designs are good and some are bad even within the same brand. Much depends on the vehicle, the oil, climate and the driving habits.

Crazyoildude is wrong in stating that all Purolator designs are bad. I have seen some excellent cut & posts of Motorcraft FL-500S that are good. That filter is made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Which Fram filters are you talking about that have shown tears with photos??? A Fram Ultra or a different model??? Can you be more specific?

Ed

I don't know if this was directed at me or not but if it was let me know... And i have not seen any tears on an ultra so far either..

Look at the new designs with those super teeny tiny oil holes on the center tube but be my guest if you want to use them on your engines.

I have not used a Motorcroft filter, but I do use a Fram Ultra on all my vehicles......and have for a few years now. As others have stated in various replies, the Ultra is a good filter. The 820s can be suspect.

Our trucks & Fusion called for the 820S/XG2. I've used both on these engines as well as Tough Guards, all worked great. The Ultra is a more premium filter than the Motorcraft though, not exactly comparable. FRAM's most comparable filter to Motorcraft would be the Tough Guard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Our trucks & Fusion called for the 820S/XG2. I've used both on these engines as well as Tough Guards, all worked great. The Ultra is a more premium filter than the Motorcraft though, not exactly comparable. FRAM's most comparable filter to Motorcraft would be the Tough Guard.

True, except there is the Ford Racing FL820S:

ford-racing-high-performance-oil-filter-4-6l-5-0l-17.png

"Ford Racing FL820 Oil Filter, Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media. Heavy gage base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue resistance. High quality silicone anti-drain back valve. Non-stick sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal Long life with standard and synthetic motor oils. Up to 50% more filtering capacity than standard filters. Improved filtering efficiency. This technology is only available through Ford Racing Performance Parts.
Price: $15.99 Brand: Ford Racing Parts Product ID: CM-6731-FL820"

I bought those years ago, and I'd still think the Fram Ultra is better, but go with the Racing version if you want a better filter and insist on Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back