How long is too long in between running a diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks 2cool. Yes, I use stabilizers and anti fongus just to be sure. Might not completely burn all fuel for months even if driving every 15 days or so. Just want to do right by the trucks internals and keep everything in good running order.

Big thing is to always keep your diesel tanks full, & always buy fuel from a station that sells a lot. If the tank is kept full there is little/no air for condensation to take place, therefore no water on the bottom, no place for the fungus to grow. Amazing how long fuel filters last, too, when you keep the tanks full.

Thanks bullwinkle...I always keep both tanks 28 gallon and 40 gallon filled full at all times. So far no problems after a year of doing that and driving every 15 days...hope it stays that way. Also changed both fuel filters at 8,500 miles.

Personally I would just park it and forget about it, but where I live we have winter, which means road salt. Everything gets stored here for winter, so if your situation allows you to drive it through the winter to keep the turbo "exercised" then follow the book.

There is no need to change the fuel filters until the message center tells you to, along with oil and all of the other fluids/filters. My factory fuel filters went to 22,500 mi. before I changed them.

I agree roadrunner...I was being super conservative and probably wasted my money. Winters in CA are a joke...so no problem keeping the turbo exercised. The cab @ chassis has a oil change reset button...but no fuel filter change anywhere...so not sure I have a minder for fuel filters.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
The cab @ chassis has a oil change reset button...but no fuel filter change anywhere...so not sure I have a minder for fuel filters.
Nothing in the information center? Mine has a reminder in it.

I have a good friend who last summer bought a beautiful new motorhome last summer, he opted to go with the v-10 for the very reasons you have posed here. Personally I don't see the issue with letting it sit, but if you can drive it through inactive camping times it won't hurt a thing, enjoy your new ride.

2015 PSD...not sure where that is on the fuel filter? I changed both the frame mounted and the one under the hood...I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea where any restriction indicator is? I know the oil is monitored by the minder and the air filter has the restriction guage thing...not sure on the fuel filters.

Roadrunner...love the diesel setup...glad I spent the extra money. Family loves it...all that matters to me.

Thanks again to all for sharing knowledge...I really enjoy that site...night.

Excavators and such equipment sits all winter and their engines usually last more than 20 000 hours....And they usually sits ouside in the rain and snow.
Id worry most over the battery.

I have a 02 Power Stroke with only 29,500 miles,,,, think how much that truck sits inside my barn. I keep the fuel tank plum full and over medicated with fuel additive,,,she starts and runs just fine when I do drive it. I run 10-30 Rotella BTW

When I worked at CAT dealer, a few times we put engines into storage for buildings that were de-commissioned etc. for engines that are not running for over 6 months. CAT has a whole procedure for this. CAT has "VCI oil" kinda like fogging oil, it creates an oil vapor that coats the internal metal of the crankcase.

Spray VCI oil into the inlet/turbochargers
Add VCI oil to the crankcase
Fill the fuel filters and fuel system with "CAT calibration fluid" or Kerosene, we would pump it up to the injectors
Mix Biocide into the fuel
remove belts
Spray the engine with rust oil
Bag the air filters, tarp the engine.

Per instruction annually, fluid is to be drained, replace filters, and redo storage procedures.

i've seen them set for years and not have an issue, i'm not sure where you are in Cali, but it's rather dry in a lot of the state. i wouldn't worry about it much. id be more worried about not getting it up to temp long enough to get the condensation out of the oil more then letting it set. i wouldn't hesitate to wait a few years, heck we wait 6 mo between ours and not an issue one. but i'm in AZ. just keep clean oil, clean fuel. solar panel for the batteries and enjoy.

Started the mid 80's 6.2l back in August. Roll til the popcorn popped after 2hrs heaters and preoil. Sat from mid 2008, mothballed(figuratively).
But that's a totally different beast then topic.
It had 8qts of amsoil sae30, with 1,4xx miles, still in service @ 2,350miles.

Harvey

I cant see a reason for it. There are full timers that may not start their rig for months. Those things are not being started every 15 days setting in a dealers lot either. If it's a concern from Ford about the VVT, I can only say that my SuperDuty sets from October through April, and might get started 2 or 3 times tops, and there have been times it has set the whole 5 months. No turbo issues.
I find it interesting they call out cycling through the gears as well, could it be they are concerned about a seal drying out and leaking?
I think if you keep the tank full to minimize moisture, (buy from a place that is busy on the last fill), dope the fuel for extended storage, (there are lots of options here), and keep the batteries topped off you are fine.

We sell a few motorhomes a year - 90% diesel pushers.

They sit over the SD winter 5-7 months. All we do is pull them into their spot. Disconnect the coach and chassis battery, and throw battery tenders on each set of batteries. Never had a singe issue from Ford diesels, to the big horse cats (C13s @ 525 Hp)

Properly winterizing the RV itself is much more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back