Neat old hunting cabin and turkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wanting to get for a bit today, stretch my legs and get some exercise so I went for a walk through the neighbor's timber ground (yes, I have permission), half of which seems like it is at a 45* angle. My goal was to walk the perimeter of his 200 odd acre property but fell short of that as I realized it was bow/muzzle loader season for deer yet, so I stayed away from parts of property lines so as not to mess up any neighboring hunters... Anyway I was up on some high ground getting ready to head down a hill when I decided to stop for a moment to take in the view over the valley about 70'-80' below when a flock of turkeys wandered along in search of food. I stayed there for probably 20-30 minutes watching them. Finally I got down on my belly and slid down the hill just enough to snap a few pictures of them. Sorry guys- they're cell phone pics an they were about 75 yards away, so not the best quality...

After a while they moved on and I headed down the hill to check out the old hunting cabin they were scratching next to.

The back story- ever since I was a rug rat (about 25 years ago), I'd go down a bug my neighbor- a nice old fellow who was in his early 70's who would stop out from time to time. You see, he lived in a different town and really only came out every so often. He used to be a realtor and used to have some cattle out on this ground, did a little bit of row crop and so on. after a while he gave that up and just putted around and rented the farm ground... anyway I'd watch him go about his business, "help" him fix his tractor (my hands were small enough to get into places his couldn't) and generally be a goofy neighbor kid. As I got older, I'd mow his yard for a few bucks and do the occasional odds and ends. He always let me venture out on his timber and gravel pit ground any time I wanted. Well out in the middle of the timber was an old cabin he had built for hunting/camping. It was really cool, especially to a kid with an active imagination! It had two levels, an L.P. cook stove, a little wood burning stove, closets, and bunks in the upper level. I have always thought it was the neatest thing. He has since passed on and his kids (in their 60's now) have very little interest in the timber ground because it doesn't earn them money like a gravel pit or cash rent farm ground, so the cabin has fallen into a terrible state of disrepair. Now don't get me wrong- his kids are still decent people. In fact I consider them good neighbors, it's just that they have a different mindset than he did.

So today I thought that I'd snap a few pictures of it while it's still standing so I could have something to bring back fond old memories in my later years.

Here is the view from about halfway down the hill:

And a view from the back, looking up the hill where I was camped out watching the turkeys:

I love stuff like this. Everything that I used to tramp around when I was a kid is gone. Urban sprawl. Of course that was 50 years ago.

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
I love stuff like this. Everything that I used to tramp around when I was a kid is gone. Urban sprawl. Of course that was 50 years ago.

Same here. I lived in Warren 50 years ago and my dad used to squirrel hunt behind our house and I spent my days roaming woods, nothing but factory's and houses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back