Think I have an exhaust leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Infiniti's exhaust has recently developed a growling noise. It sounds like a 350Z or G37 upon start up and hard accelerations. Sounds kind of cool LOL but a quick inspection makes the muffler suspect. Don't hear anything further up near the exhaust manifold. Car spent the first 10 yrs of its life in upstate NY where salt does a serious number on the undercarriage, as I've seen in South Main Auto videos. The leak sounds pretty small and I will certainly repair it. My question is that is it dangerous to drive the car in the interim? Thanks.

Last edited:
Take 2 towel(s) and place it over the 2 exhaust pipes while the car is running....you should see and maybe hear any leaks. You will need to have a helper. Then decide.

Last edited:
Bad news: My car was away for a while as another family member was driving it. Got it back today and the exhaust is noisy as [censored] and sounds awful. I poked my head underneath and there were now multiple leak points. Went over to my indy and he showed me rusted out holes ALL over the exhaust system, from the flex pipe, to the the cat, to the muffler. I have state inspection due soon and the car isn't going to pass like this. He said he could try welding it but all that rust means it probably won't hold for long, if at all. I bit the bullet and will be getting an all new Walker exhaust put in, including Y-pipe, main cat converter, resonator, muffler, new gaskets & hangers. Was only expecting a small leak that could be patched but am now out almost $800. Fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back