New tires always go in front?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BACK. I dated a girl long ago that was broke and needed a set of new tires. She could only afford two and the installer put them up front. Her dad gave her bad advise. The rear tires were worn out. She was in Columbus, OH at the "Hospital curve" and her Nissan Altima fishtailed causing her to total it. I wanted to kick myself in the [censored] because I debated about buying her the other two tires.

Last edited:
If you only buy two new tires from a tire shop, I think it's required they put them on the back for your safety and better control. The rear end sliding out is a terrifying feeling and will cause you to spin around. That happened to me only once growing up on Long Island and I missed hitting a telephone pole by 6 inches.

Look at 8:46, when he stops, you can see the rear started to slide out.

At the speed at which Eric was driving, put 'em on the front, sure. If you're never going to exceed 30 mph and drive only on a snowy parking lot, tires don't matter much anyway. That said, as was pointed out, even at those speeds, the rear end would kick out under braking with the bad tires on the rear.

The recommendation for better tires on the back is relevant in real world driving, not in playing on a snowy parking lot. High speed maneuvers on wet pavement and such.

I was disappointed in that video. Eric normally covers a topic thoroughly, and this is one that has been researched IN DEPTH by tire manufacturers. For him to not even bring that up is a mystery to me.

He is off the handle now, producing very little of value. I hope someday he will go back to his roots on repair video's instead of blowing his youtube winnings on hoopties. I do very much enjoy his fixing it forward series, that alone would make him a real hero.

Last edited:
The correct answer is to put them on the back, however, I would rather have the extra traction on the drive wheels (FWD), so I always move my newest tires to the front...

Last edited:
I think of it this way...if you were taking part in a bicycle race and could only have one set of brakes for some reason, would you put them on the front or rear wheel?
Well, on the back, of course...you know that you're going to flip over if you're riding fast, brake the front wheel, and that rear end has to come swinging around somehow.

When I was a kid, we had an ancient scooter called a Puky that my dad had dug up somewhere. The thing had wide, inflatable tires and would roll forever with one good kick. You could also sort of sit on the back fender while riding it, although that was dangerous as heck. Anyway, the Puky had a really crude front brake that was basically a metal pad that pressed on the front tire itself, but nothing in the back. It did not us kids long to figure out that you were in for a world of hurt if you hit that brake with any kind of speed going.
My dad was so funny...when he was done with something, he felt that thing should not be used anymore. When I got too big for the Puky, my dad put it out by our trash at the alley just before the garbage truck came. Two kids found it immediately and started riding it...dad was livid, screaming and swearing by our kitchen window. I told him it was great that it was going to be used, and he kept raving about kids leaving his garbage alone. He bought all kinds of things used (Salvation Army was my toy store as a kid), but he would never donate anything or let people have his old stuff.
Dad bought a used full sized ping pong table that I had tons of fun with in our basement as a kid...when I moved out, he took an axe to the thing. He claimed he couldn't fit it up the stairs, but he had gotten it down there...I could have helped him push it up during a visit if it was too heavy for him. He just didn't want anybody using it after him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
He just didn't want anybody using it after him.

What did he do with his old cars...bury them?
smile.gif

If you have more than 5-6/32 on the rear I say stick 'em up front, on your typical FWD sedan. They're set up for understeer anyway. Ideally you want to wear a set of four out at the same time so you qualify for sales on the next set of four, so you can buy four, like you've been supposed to all along.

If you put the new ones on the rear, the fronts will be shot when the rears are three years old and still at 9/32, so they'll be hard when finally rotated up front when you continue the lie and get yet another pair for the rear.

Of course if you've entered a wear pattern of needing only one pair of tires, you've done something wrong maintenance/rotation-wise already.

This excludes snow driving.

I think of it this way...if you were taking part in a bicycle race and could only have one set of brakes for some reason, would you put them on the front or rear wheel?
Well, on the back, of course...you know that you're going to flip over if you're riding fast, brake the front wheel, and that rear end has to come swinging around somehow.

Off road I did use rear brake more. I have locked the front tire and not had issues--I only worry about side traction, where the tire starts plowing. But the worst spills I took was when the rear tire locked and the bike slid out from under me.

On my road bike I can easily live without the rear brake, it doesn't do much of anything. All the braking force is up front, once the weight shifts there.

Originally Posted By: supton

Off road I did use rear brake more. I have locked the front tire and not had issues--I only worry about side traction, where the tire starts plowing. But the worst spills I took was when the rear tire locked and the bike slid out from under me.

On my road bike I can easily live without the rear brake, it doesn't do much of anything. All the braking force is up front, once the weight shifts there.

Even if the rear brake is doing only 1% of the braking it's keeping the rear end anchored. Like a boat's rudder.

Well this will turn into a argument! Just had one a work. Whatever you're comfortable with is my answer. I've always but the new up front and have for the last 20 years. The only time I've lost it when I was horsing around and going too fast for the conditions. Every car I've put the new tires on the rear was undriveable. Granted I typically don't have bald tires at any corner... perhaps that's the key.

I think it can go either way depending on how bad your old 2 tires are. If the old 2 are bald, yes put them up front & the new on the rear.

If your old 2 tires still have decent tread left, put them on the rear & put your new tires on the front. That's just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
He is off the handle now, producing very little of value. I hope someday he will go back to his roots on repair video's instead of blowing his youtube winnings on hoopties. I do very much enjoy his fixing it forward series, that alone would make him a real hero.

I agree. I unsubscribed and haven't watched one of his videos in probably 6 months.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Eric the car guy is telling people to put new tires on front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLGFAZ7EFh4

Everything i've read from tire vendors has said to put them on the back?

He makes an interesting case. That being said he misses a major point. In really slippery conditions better tires on front you lose stability of back and get twitching at speed and also hard braking the front end stops while backend can swing around. His tests are at low speed which is not a realistic picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back