There Is No Excuse For -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm calling [censored].

I have had brand new fasteners fail.
I have had brand new threads fail.
I have had tools that are miscalibrated cause damage.
I have had a test box fail and fry components.

You are always at the mercy of other people's quality control standards. ALWAYS.

I take pride in doing most all the maintenance and repairs on my cars but I'm not obsessing over it. I will check the lug nuts when I get it home from the tire shop but I'm not going to inconvenience myself by putting my car up on block to take the wheels to the shop without the car.

I hope you take care of your body with the same vigor you take care of your car.

Trust me. It's virtually impossible to hire a good mechanic. I've hired and fired many. Many over the years. Most are below average parts changers with no ability to diagnose. Most have drinking, drug and criminal issues.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Trust me. It's virtually impossible to hire a good mechanic. I've hired and fired many. Many over the years. Most are below average parts changers with no ability to diagnose. Most have drinking, drug and criminal issues.

The schools do a pretty bad job of training IMHO. The local chevy dealer hired the top three graduates out of a local community college program. They were all fired within a year.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I hope you take care of your body with the same vigor you take care of your car.

Very valid point. I try to. I don't drink, smoke or even drink coffee. My diet is 99% vegetarian. No fast food. I could go on but don't want to bore everybody.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I take pride in doing most all the maintenance and repairs on my cars but I'm not obsessing over it. I will check the lug nuts when I get it home from the tire shop but I'm not going to inconvenience myself by putting my car up on block to take the wheels to the shop without the car.

I only have one vehicle, so putting it up on blocks is not practical. I time my tire purchases to coincide with my twice annual snow tire changeover, so there is really no extra work. As a bonus, I don't have to hang around at Costco waiting for them to mount the tires, I drop them off and pick them up the next day.

The legendary Smokey Yunick closed his "Best D@mn Garage In Town" because he couldn't find any more good mechanics.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

The legendary Smokey Yunick closed his "Best D@mn Garage In Town" because he couldn't find any more good mechanics.

I always knew I was right!

Same experiences just about every single shop I have used has done damage, performed improper work, not performed the work at all, or all of the above, and all charged around the average going rate, these were not hole in the wall fly by night places either, whats even worse is when I calmly, and in a business like manner confronted them with these issues (no yelling, screaming, ect) they got angry and yelled at ME, even though I only wanted the job performed correctly and NEVER mentioned refusing to pay.

To date, I do all my own work on my vehicles. I even do my own alignments. My goal with a project or maintenance task is to make it appear that the work was never even done. What I mean by this is that I try to put wiring looms back in place, all the wire ties intact, no connectors broken, I try not to mar bolt heads, no broken body clips, etc. It should pass as a factory assembly or better. I take pride in my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back