Bizarre oil change storyof mine. Do you have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 1989 I changed to oil on my 84 Tempo diesel 5 speed stick. It was in the winter and had the garage door closed and the front of the car on ramps. After finishing the OC and the hood still up. I was inspecting everything and leaned on the front of the car. To my horror the car started rolling off the rams. I left the trans in neutral. Down the Tempo flew and right through the steel garage door, pushing it several feet out side.

Well not much harm came to the car, I spent the next 2-3 hours taking hinges and rollers off straightening and welling. Sure learned a lesson from that.

Last edited:
My story only involves me because I spotted the oil slick. At an early age I shared an apt with Jack, who owned an early Ford Fiesta. Beige....... I came home from work one afternoon and Jack had the hood up on his Fiesta, apparently doing an oil change. As I got to where I could see the back of his car I spotted the growing oil slick coming out from under the car and running down the slight incline the car was sitting on. I pulled up and in my best "Here's your sign" voice asked Jack what he was doing. "oil change". I then noted (laughing like [censored]) that at least the parking lot would never rust. With a weird look on his face he stepped out from in front of his car and peered where I was looking. The drain plug was sitting on the sidewalk next to his toolbox (and some empty oil containers), in front of the car.

Last edited:
In 1997 or early 1998, I bought a 1987 Maxima (3.0 SOHC V6, 160-HP) 5-spd stick. Car had low miles - in the 56,000 range. Story the dealership told was that it had belonged to a schoolteacher and she'd driven it back and forth to school.

Anyway, being an 18-year-old, I dogged the heck out of that car. It was a great car. Pretty much took all the abuse I could give it.

This was before I learned to work on my own stuff, and I would take it to Valvoline, etc. to have the oil changed, and I would have them add Slick 50 or Dura-Lube, which was pretty popular at that time.

Well, one time, I left Valvoline, and headed for home, which was about 3 miles away. On the way home, I noticed that the engine was making some unusual noise. I got home and told my dad, and he suggested I should take it to Firestone, which I did (about 2-3 miles away).

Dad took me home, and, a little while later, Firestone called and said that there was zero oil in the car and that the oil drain plug was missing. They replaced the drain plug, added oil, started it, and it quit making noise.

Knowing nothing about engines at that time, I didn't make a big deal about it or anything. I kept driving the car for tens of thousands of miles after that before selling it. Never a problem.

I don't know if a more modern engine would fare that well or not.

A friend of mine is a mechanic , one day a 20 some year old woman stops at his shop because her car , a early 2000s Daewoo was making weird noises , first thing he does is obviously check the dipstick , it's overfilled with the cream colored oil that you'd typically see with a blown head gasket , it turns out the girl which had no idea about cars had filled up the engine to the brim with coolant thinking it was the radiator...., the car went straight to the scrapyard as these old Daewoos are worth nothing at all

A mechanic at the garage I get work done at swears this is true:

A few years ago, an elderly gentleman came in with a Cadillac for an oil change. The mechanic asked him if he wanted synthetic oil. The gentleman replied "Nope, none of that synthetic stuff for me, I want real oil."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back