Pentastar Cylinder Head, Service Writer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am venting, and very frustrated. I would appreciate advice, though.

BACK STORY: 2013 Grand Caravan with 73500 miles, I bought 7 months ago with 53000 miles. Has 100K factory powertrain warranty. Was originally rental. I have changed oil with synthetic with the OLM. No problems, no oil use at all between oil changes.
DECEMBER 2015 (70000 MILES): Started making a distinct ticking noise, most noticeable at idle from outside the car. Sounds like a rocker or something. I am aware that these cars are known for cylinder head issues, but it is supposed to be newer than the problem cars (mfg. date December 2012)
MID-JANUARY (72000 MILES): Took it in for diagnosis only. Was told it will likely need a cylinder head, but may only be a rocker arm. Told that it's safe to drive, they will call me to schedule appointment when the parts are available so it doesn't take too long.
MONDAY FEB 1: (73500 miles): Took it in as scheduled and told it would be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday Feb 2). The ticking noise is more pronounced, almost a knock now.
WEDNESDAY FEB 3: Called to check on status. Service writer out with family emergency. Another service writer said he would call me right back. Never did.
THURSDAY FEB 4, PHONE CALL 1: I call and talk to original service writer, he doesn't know status but says he will call me back
THURSDAY FEB 4, phone call 2: Original service writer calls me back, says the technician has a couple of questions. Asks if I knew I was 2 quarts low. I told him I actually checked it the morning before I took it in and it was on the Full mark, and that this could not be. Oil changed at 72,300 miles and I have the receipt for all 6 quarts, and it has never burned any oil between oil changes, and I check often. He says he will check with the technician, maybe that he was talking about a different car.
THURSDAY FEB 4, PHONE CALL 3: Original service writer calls me, says that it was 2 quarts low. I ask if they topped it off and if this made the noise go away, and if I should come pick it up. He says yes, noise is gone, and yes, come pick it up. Nervous and angry, I agree to come get my car, knowing that now they are saying I am negligent in maintnance and probably no warranty coverage for the rental, diagnosis, or 2 quarts of oil which the car did not need going in.
THURSDAY FEB 4, PHONE CALL 4: Original service writer calls me again, says it was more like 1 quart low, is still making the noise, and they will continue to diagnose. Says he won't write up that it was low on oil. I tell him my concern that I'm being accused of neglecting the car and that I may be considered responsible for paying for everything going forward. He tells me that he is not, not to worry, that it is definitely a powertrain warranty issue.

So, what should I do? I am concerned about being lied to, and that these same folks will start tearing into my engine. However, the other Dodge dealer in town has plenty of 1-star reviews on google as well.

Excellent write up. They are against a knowledgeable owner and hopefully they wise up to that.

What does your gut tell you about that service writer? The typed word sounds like their role is largely a mild mannered bumbling dolt. Do you sense some wise-arse chip on their shoulder?

If you don't sense the writer to be either an ally or at least neutral.... Bolt. Personally, I get shivers the moment I enter a dealership. Just a creepy feeling from my neck hair down my spine. Slightly less so in the shop. I feel best when a tech about 40 walks up and explains straight forward to me his diagnosis. Least comfortable when a 20 year old with a hangover whom I just saw smash a hood shut walks up with an Ozzy knit cap.

Having said that, you are a ways into the diagnosis. So you may want to get hands on at the shop, see the tech in person and get a sense if the bumbling has stopped. You might be right on the edge of getting some real answers.

Thanks for the advice.
I also got some advice from a relative who is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership. He suggests I explain what is going on to the service manager. It's pretty frustrating that they are still diagnosing a car that was supposed to be ready Tuesday, and to top it off, incompetent and confused, or just lying. Part of me can't wait to be out of warranty so I can decide to fix it myself when problems come up, or go to my favorite local shop, which doesn't put me through any [censored].

Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt
Thanks for the advice.
I also got some advice from a relative who is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership. He suggests I explain what is going on to the service manager. It's pretty frustrating that they are still diagnosing a car that was supposed to be ready Tuesday, and to top it off, incompetent and confused, or just lying. Part of me can't wait to be out of warranty so I can decide to fix it myself when problems come up, or go to my favorite local shop, which doesn't put me through any [censored].

Yep, go to the manager.

Just FYI and it sounds crazy but when I owned my focus and it was a complete lemon the ford techs tried to screw me kinda like this. Before taking it in I took a picture of all the fluids with a date stamp and a picture of the miles with a date stamp because they would weasel out of any thing they could.

You can also ask what does 2 quarts of oil (hypothetically speaking) have to do with a bad cylinder head. Let him explain this to you in detail.
If he tries to weasel out of the question, ask him straight up what was his reason to bring up the oil level issue, that seems to be changing anyway. Tell him that you will not tolerate his attempt to set up a precedence and would like to see the oil level yourself.

Stealership alert! They earned the name with these type of tactics.

In their defense they service a ton of cars and get confused. But many service writers are pressured by mgmt to redirect as much warranty as they can to avoid it. The Mfgrs started this by disallowing claims and such from the dealers for the tiniest errors in documentation or procedures.

Shop around for another dealer. We have had GREAT service from our RAM dealer, so good I am amazed. So there are a few good ones out there...

Possible oil cooler leak? How could it be low on oil if you just changed it and it was full that morning?

I'd keep all documentation from the dealership should you have a case against them in the future.

I've had the car for the last 20,000 miles. It has never dropped below the full mark between oil changes. It was absolutely full. They were confused at best, lying at worst.

I've had the car for the last 20,000 miles. It has never dropped below the full mark between oil changes. It was absolutely full. They were confused at best, lying at worst.

Oscar,

Sorry about all of the troubles you are having. I have a 2015 Grand Caravan. Over at the Chrysler minivan forums there is a Chrysler care rep in Michigan. Maybe she can help you out. Here's the link.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/member.php/22842-ChryslerCares

Yeah, no doubt. Our 2013 w/ just shy of 50K miles never looses any noticeable amount of oil between ~8K mile OCIs that I do on it. Even if it was 2qts low, the darn things hold 6qts!

I'm curious to see what the true diagnosis is on this. Ours is super quiet aside from the cold start moan at idle that Chrysler knows about, but claim they have no cure for.

Friends/neighbors of ours have a 2012-13 Town&Country that ticks loudly at idle. They bought it used and neglect their vehicles terribly. I don't offer any vehicular advise to them unless they ask me.

My parents had a head replaced on their new-ish Caravan recently and it went very smoothly. It's always been dealer serviced which may have greased things along. My dad took the van in for an oil change, got a call and was told the head needed to be replaced, and he had it back three days later with nothing out of pocket. Apparently the head service writer for the east coast or someone important like that was visiting the dealer for a few weeks to prepare them for this kind of warranty work and they did the repair immediately, no questions asked except for permission to do it. What luck.

Is this an early build 2013 model? I wonder if the cylinder head code is part of the early batch of heads that Chrysler replaced a few times on some cars. I understand the current revision's part number ends with AC, meaning it's a third try. Is there any way to visually identify the cylinder head while installed?

The ticking is considered "normal", and that alone will not get another cylinder head.

The only way you can get the cylinder head replaced is if it starts throwing some codes, at that point they will do some useless steps which won't help before finally declaring it bad and replacing it under warranty.

It sounds to me as though they jumped the gun, thinking they would be replacing it under warranty (the Pentastar cylinder head issue we're all aware of), and maybe started tearing it down. But without the requisite DTC present, they will not be able to sell Dodge on paying for the work under warranty. That means the service dept. would be footing the bill, and that isn't a small one.

Just my $0.02 (after going through the whole cylinder head replacement thing on my Challenger).

Service writers are chasing the buck and looking to upsell is their main priority. Handling a customer that is having some warranty work is just part of the job they have to put up with as part of their base salary. Another job duty is taking out the garbage.

Talk to the service manager for any item out of the ordinary. When I dealt with a young service advisor and asked a pointed question he quickly called the service manager over to help me.

One time when dealing with an advisor he wanted to charge me $80 for doing an atf drain and fill since the trans was slipping btwn 1st and 2nd. This was after they changed the rear main seal which required removing the trans. The trans wasn't slipping before I brought it in but was doing it on the way home. He was holding the car keys in his hand and I informed him I wasn't paying for that. I reached for the keys he was holding and was on my way.

Call Chrysler corporate and state your case. Insist the oil level was full, and if it wasn't the filter housing could be cracked, another known issue with the older 3.6L engines. They are aware of the problem and are offering a lifetime warranty on the left cylinder head in 2012 and 2013 vehicles equipped with the 3.6L engine! Odds are yours was an early build 2013 with either an AA or AB cylinder head.

Once you get your ducks in a row they'll fix it. I was given a [censored] story when my 08 Liberty needed the gas tank replaced due to a known issue. At first they tried to tell me I had to pay, then I informed them of the issue and the lifetime warranty on the gas tank. Once they realized I knew and they couldn't get over on me they fixed it and did a good job. Get all your info together and give it another shot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Call Chrysler corporate and state your case. Insist the oil level was full, and if it wasn't the filter housing could be cracked, another known issue with the older 3.6L engines. They are aware of the problem and are offering a lifetime warranty on the left cylinder head in 2012 and 2013 vehicles equipped with the 3.6L engine! Odds are yours was an early build 2013 with either an AA or AB cylinder head.

Once you get your ducks in a row they'll fix it. I was given a [censored] story when my 08 Liberty needed the gas tank replaced due to a known issue. At first they tried to tell me I had to pay, then I informed them of the issue and the lifetime warranty on the gas tank. Once they realized I knew and they couldn't get over on me they fixed it and did a good job. Get all your info together and give it another shot.

Yep the $tealership is committing fraud upon YOU by LYING about the oil level they found, which is criminal. Press your case with
Chrysler Corp, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back