Timing Chains: 4 Bangers-How long have/do YOU go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about....

1. For giggles, how long have you gone on a 4 banger timing chain?

2. In all seriousness, how long does your experience guide you to believe is the best average miles to go and be not be OCD yet not be foolishly tempting fate?

I'll go first, #1: 127,000 Impala. #2: No idea. I cringe about interference engine though. And that magically tragic just out of warranty "Kah-Powww!" on the interstate.

Both of my Duratech 4 cyl engines have timing chains. You can see below the mileage on these engines, and to date there is no chain noise at all. Timing chains will last a long time if the oil is well maintained, and engines are free from varnish and sludge.

If it's a timing belt, follow the service/owner's manual.

If it's a timing chain, probably after 250k+ miles / or when it gets noisy. Depends on how you drive, and maintain it. I changed mine at 70k miles due to defective VTC actuator. I wasn't supposed to change the chain and guides, but I just wanted to have peace of mind and replaced everything.

Ive gone well, well over 200k on a chain in 4 and 5 cyl diesel and gas engines.

More than once.

But here's the reality. All the claims about how wonderful chains are because they dont need to be changed? Well, the issue is that while a belt fully resets timing perfectly when it is replaced, chains DO wear, and timing suffers. Not changing means that timing can be off, by a good amount.

My diesels with chains needed valve adjustments, so I could determine the amount of wear, but they can and do wear.

What would be a sign the timing was off due to chaine wear?
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive gone well, well over 200k on a chain in 4 and 5 cyl diesel and gas engines.

More than once.

But here's the reality. All the claims about how wonderful chains are because they dont need to be changed? Well, the issue is that while a belt fully resets timing perfectly when it is replaced, chains DO wear, and timing suffers. Not changing means that timing can be off, by a good amount.

My diesels with chains needed valve adjustments, so I could determine the amount of wear, but they can and do wear.

it can also be timing off from stretching..

The GM issues come to mind and throwing a code for improper timing (??) I dont remember the actual code.

My ECHO has a chain which has never been replaced.

The BMW as well, but that has more than four cylinders (but has two chains, so it might be considered two four-cylinder engines
smile.gif

184K on the S2000's chain. I sure hope it stays in one piece and in the right place.

robert

I have never seen a chain break. But they can stretch. How long that takes depends on the engine, length of the chain, if it's single or duplex, and probably other stuff as well.

What year is your Impala, I thought 2014 was the first 4cyl? I would expect it to last about as long as all the other important moving metal parts in the engine.

There is a 1 owner 2000 Corvette LS1 vette online with 650,000 miles rolling around on the original engine/chain.

I have a Cavalier that my girlfriend uses for a commuter car, it has 275,000 on the original timing chain. The transmission is only a 3 speed (no overdrive) so that chain has put some work in. Around 250,000 I tuned the ECU a little with HPT software to correct a problem that was throwing a CEL. I also raised the rev limiter and shift points a few hundred rpms, added a couple degrees of timing, leaned it out a little here and there, shut off torque management. For science. I didn't mention it but my girlfriend asked me if I did something to the car because it was "zippier."

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
What year is your Impala, I thought 2014 was the first 4cyl? I would expect it to last about as long as all the other important moving metal parts in the engine.

There is a 1 owner 2000 Corvette LS1 vette online with 650,000 miles rolling around on the original engine/chain.

I have a Cavalier that my girlfriend uses for a commuter car, it has 275,000 on the original timing chain. The transmission is only a 3 speed (no overdrive) so that chain has put some work in. Around 250,000 I tuned the ECU a little with HPT software to correct a problem that was throwing a CEL. I also raised the rev limiter and shift points a few hundred rpms, added a couple degrees of timing, leaned it out a little here and there, shut off torque management. For science. I didn't mention it but my girlfriend asked me if I did something to the car because it was "zippier."

LOL...maybe I should try that on the wife's....her car has 111k on her chain...

177k on the xB in my sig. If it needs a timing chain at any point now, I'll probably just get a junkyard engine for it.

On any car, if the timing chain needs changing before the clutch does, then there's something very wrong.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Curious about....

1. For giggles, how long have you gone on a 4 banger timing chain?

More than 400000Km on an old Peugeot Indenor diesel in a J7. Still running strong, but I guess it doesn't count, considering the engine!
220000Km in a Mercedes 190E, sold after that. Never replaced anything timing chain related. Was before my Bitog days, I thought timing chains were forever! Car replaced by my current Fiat diesel, in which I religiously replace the timing belt every 60-70K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back