General Altimax RT 43 or Yokohama Avid S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 Camry that requires 195X70X14. Discount Tire is my preferred retailer and the choices are few. I'm not impressed by what I've heard about the Michelin Defender (pretty [censored] mileage) so I'm down to the General Altimax RT 43 or the Yokohama Avid S. The prices are close enough that it's not an issue. Opinions, especially those based on actual experience?

I am going to try the Generals on my Avalon this year. The tire has good ratings on tire rack and Walmart carries them so the ship to store is free. Plus their install is $12/tire for mount & balance.

Consumer Reports rated the RT43 higher than the Avid S. I've been thinking about getting the RT43 for my car after the snow season has ended and I'm ready to take my snow tires off.

My choice of the two would be the RT43.

Does your car require an H rating? I know some years/models of the Camry of that time required an H-rated tire of the size 195/70-14.

Is your Camry a CE, LE, or XLE?

If you need H, the Kumho Sense is your only option. If you don't, then get the RT43.

The general altimax rt43 are a known superior tire at a great value price.

I buy them without a second thought.

Many of the defenders in car sizes seem to wear terribly fast.. I'm not impressed with them either(and I have a set of them personally)

The yokohama avid-s is good brand name tire but seems average at best.

The 97 specs T rated tires (actually S rated but it's impossible to find those now).

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with the Altimax.

I have the same car as you.

RT43's hands down, I've got 4 months and 9,000 miles on mine now, am thrilled with them. Not a sign of tread wear either.

General Altimax RT43 for sure. Yokohama Avid Touring-S was in market for more than 5 years, I would go with newer generation tire then the old one. 5-6 years ago Yokohama Avid Touring-S was 1 of the best value touring tire, but no more.

I like both, and I have that sized Yoko on the wife's car (195/70/14)

While the Yokos are a great tire, think I would the RT43 now...

Hello,I have the General Altimax RT43 on my Hyundai XG350 with Rial Quinto rims, the Generals are a great tire.

Had them on since April so far very smooth riding tire,good in the rain, excellent highway tire as well,would buy them again without hesitation. Can't comment on winter usage as I haven't had them in snow yet.

I put the Generals on my Cobalt a few months before it was totaled and really liked them. I will be putting 4 on the Mazda soon. I have no experience with the Avids

I've used the Yoko Avid Touring-S and found it was not as good as the original Avid Touring, it wasn't even close.

It seems like everyone that has used the RT43 likes them.

I put the altimax rt43's on our 2013 sonata about 12k miles ago and really like them. my dad just put them on their Prius. no problems and have driven lotsa highway miles in rain. it is a very good tire.

Had a set of RT43 on the beater Olds for about 5K before it gave up. Not as great in the wet as I would have liked, but dry and snow performance was quite nice.

Put a set of Altimax rt43 on my Altima about 6 months ago and a set of Contenental true contacts on the odyssey about the same time. I love both tires. The continentals are a bit nicer in ride quality and noise but the value for the Altimax is the best. They grip in the wet like nothing I've ever run and the don't miss a beat in any category. Got them with the 50 MIR and the Conti's with the $70 MIr.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Had a set of RT43 on the beater Olds for about 5K before it gave up. Not as great in the wet as I would have liked, but dry and snow performance was quite nice.

T H or V rated?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Hollow

T H or V rated?

205/70/15T.

I was surprised as the ease in which they broke traction on a wet rod, but gripped in dry and in snow. Not sure if it was the T rated tire or the FWD Olds, but I had to feather the gas from a stop or I'd chirp the tires every time in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back