AMD FX-4300 or I3 2100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two systems currently running Windows 10. I am at a loss for which one I should be gaming on, as they seem to be about equals.

"Systemax"
AMD FX-4300 "quad core" 3.8Ghz -Dual core with hyper threading
8Gb 1600Mhz RAM
176283-systemax-venture-dh53iv_zpsbfwqnaz3.jpg

Lenovo K330A
Intel Core i3 2100 3.2Ghz -Dual core with hyper threading
8GB 1333Mhz RAM
Lenovo%20K330A_zpskoom2nmd.jpg

I have a Gigabyte Windforce GTX960 OC 4GbGDDR5 video card that I will use in the better system.

I am currently benchmarking both systems, but thought I would ask here anyone might think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
According to CPU benchmark, the AMD CPU is faster, but I'm not sure the difference is large enough to matter.

This was my thought as well. I am thinking the slightly better AMD and 1600Mhz RAM will tip the scales. I also spent in the neighborhood of $240 on the AMD machine including RAM, CPU cooler, MOBO, and CPU. I also believe a CPU upgrade would be more cost effective on the AMD side.

I just installed the GPU into the Lenovo and am installing drives now.

I hate the thought of abandoning the Systemax (AMD) machine as I have spent time and money building it up. The Lenovo is a good machine too, but the only advantage I see (literally) is the more attractive case.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I also believe a CPU upgrade would be more cost effective on the AMD side.

Yeah, that's what I'd look at, too - the ease/cost of upgrade should you need to a year down the road.

According to the benchmarks i see the i3-2100 is faster in everything but multi threaded. I would rather have the intel because the upgraded intel processors are much faster, if the board will support an i5 down the road it would be a sweet upgrade.

FYI they are both technically dual cores with hyperthreading even though AMD claims 4 core its a dual core die.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-2100-vs-AMD-FX-4300/m41vs2879

AMD's "multi-core APU" stuff is a bit confusing. The base CPU speed is fairly low (good for heat and power consumption), but it can throttle up very high when needed. It should do well for multi-threading, but the problem is that most activities (web browsing, YouTube, word processing, etc) are single-threaded....and the Intel will smoke it there.

Only some games are going to take advantage of multi-core CPUs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also you will need a higher wattage psu to run a GTX 960 if using the oem psu in those systems. 960 can run a solid 400 watter, max tdp is 120 watts for the gpu alone.

If you are on a budget grab this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

If you want something more efficient with 80 plus gold try this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053&ignorebbr=1

The Systemax has an Antec Eathwatts 500W, and the Lenovo has a Corsair 450W.

I've been busy swapping parts between 5 machines that were given to me.

According to the benchmarks i see the i3-2100 is faster in everything but multi threaded. I would rather have the intel because the upgraded intel processors are much faster, if the board will support an i5 down the road it would be a sweet upgrade.
While an i5 or i7 would be sweet, an unlocked AMD seems to be more bang for the buck.

Quote:
FYI they are both technically dual cores with hyperthreading even though AMD claims 4 core its a dual core die.

I'm aware and made note of this in OP.

The amd quadcore is around 4300cpumark but thats on "4" cores

the intel is around 3600 on 2 cores..

So depending on the game the intel could be much better if the game doesnt use 4 cores efficiently.

Neither is esp. great my 5 year old sandybridge [email protected] is around twice as fast.

Originally Posted By: dparm
OP, why don't you just build a system to your specs? Seems like you know a thing or two.

I just got done building the AMD rig to my budget, wy wife would say it was over budget. I am simply wondering if the i3 rug would be any better now or with an upgrade vs the upgraded AMD rig.

The unlocked amd is useless in an oem motherboard without bios overclocking options.

Despite being low end ECS, it is not OEM. I have had this FX-4300 OCed to 4Ghz already. I did install a big cooler last week for OCing, but haven't turned it back up yet.

I suppose OCing the 4300 would be my best bet, while the i3/Lenovo mobo is likely locked.

I had my old ATHLON 64 OCed from 2.0 to 2.4Ghz for a year with no instabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back