Sensing alkalinity from acidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
To condemn an engine oil for acidification, it need to be very bad, smelling like rotten eggs. New oils with an ocre smell, remembering acidity, is from PE Amines as dispersants. I used to rule them out, but not anymore...

To me, by feel, an acid will strip off the oils on your skin, creating a "squeaky clean" sensation and eventually a burning sensation.

Alkalines (bases) will dissolve or emulsify the oils on your skin and produce a slippery, greasy feeling.

Both are eroding away the protective skin layers. Many soap solutions are alkaline because of its emulsifying properties.

This is somewhat borne out in this link. See number 5:

http://www.chemteam.info/AcidBase/Acid-Base-Properties.html

Thanks doitmyself!

Exactly what I was searching for.

So, bases will kind of waterlog the fingertips like taking a nap in the bath. And acids will be like brake cleaner or alcohol on the skin- drying it out and such!?

I was just wondering like if you stuck your hand in lemon juice and the other in bleach- could one determine the different sensations

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
To me, by feel, an acid will strip off the oils on your skin, creating a "squeaky clean" sensation and eventually a burning sensation.

Alkalines (bases) will dissolve or emulsify the oils on your skin and produce a slippery, greasy feeling.

Both are eroding away the protective skin layers. Many soap solutions are alkaline because of its emulsifying properties.

This is right on the money. I used to work with caustics and acids. The acid would leave my hands feeling dry and real clean. Caustic would give me a slimey feeling right away. Your body can process caustic but not acid. Having rinse water was very important to me back then.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Chemical strips or test tube kits are pretty cheap.

Do they work with engine oil?

They don't. We've been over this a bunch of times here on BITOG, measuring the pH of a non-aqueous material is not trivial and without water really has no meaning. Test strips and kits are for aqueous solutions. So are pH meters (there are so-called non-aqueous probes but that's not nearly as simple as it seems).

You cannot judge alkalinty/ acidity by feeling of your skin, no way.
Brand new high tbn oil doesent contain enough of alkalinity to create the "soap" sense and oil that is so acidus that you can feel it would have burned throug the pan.
Forget it!
Measuring ph in oil are quite difficult..( i work in a lab.)

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

This is right on the money. I used to work with caustics and acids. The acid would leave my hands feeling dry and real clean. Caustic would give me a slimey feeling right away. Your body can process caustic but not acid. Having rinse water was very important to me back then.

So, caustic, acidic, and alkalinity are all synonymous with one another?

All the while, only 0-6.9 can be referred to as acidic.....

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

No, caustic and alkaline are synonymous. Acidic is the opposite.

And you can have negative pH values.

Description:
This convenient, compact pH Testing Strip kit comes with a pack of pH strips, a color guide, and a compact cylinder case. The strips have a pH range from 1 to 14 (1-6=Acidic, 7=Neutral, 8-14=Basic) for testing solutions for pH level. They're great to use when you need to check the pH of Biodiesel, OIL, isopropyl alcohol, methanol, glycerin, soaps, or any other liquid where a pH level is required. The results are ready within 30 seconds and work extremely well.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

No, caustic and alkaline are synonymous. Acidic is the opposite.

And you can have negative pH values.

Ok, oops.

Meant basic, alkaline and caustic are more or less the same,

But

Acidic has no synonyms?

Ok, oops.
Meant basic, alkaline and caustic are more or less the same,
But
Acidic has no synonyms?

I used the three terms you gave.

You can look up synonyms for acidic yourself.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

We've got causstic and sulfuric on site (90%+ concentration)...obviously emergency showers everywhere.

My chemists researched diphoterine, and are now rolling it out across the stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back