Opinions on a '04 Grand Prix GTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

The car I'm considering is an '04 GTP supercharged with the Gen III 3800. I'm interested in your opinions, preferrably first hand knowledge, of these cars. This particular one has less than 100K miles on it and looks rather nice.

4t65e transmission, which needs some attention if it's not already banging. If you can test drive it get it good and hot because the hard shifts won't start until so many minutes/shifts into each drive cycle. Expensive repair and no one does it right, i had to order a transmission from triple edge and have a local mechanic install it because the local transmission rebuilders are all a joke.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E-Common-Problems.html

If you do get it install this right away to help prolong clutch life.

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?category_id=106&parent_id=31&product_id=222

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3305719/4T65E_fluid_change_and_Shift_k

My woman owns an '07 Grand Prix, base model w/ 80,000 on the odo. I personally have done work on it and have driven it out of state, I am not a fan. While the 3.8 is revered by many as one of the most solid engines GM has ever produced behind the 5.3L, everything else on them is junk, IMO. It's noisy inside the cabin, rides like a stage coach, seats are uncomfortable, and is always in need of repair. Every other week something is wrong with from the exhaust falling off, to water pumps, to struts, to sway bars, gas tank issues, and now the heat went out. For a car with 80,000 miles it has way too many issues for my liking. GM should've devoted more time to R&D.

But that 3.8L runs like a raped ape.

Last edited:
I'll counter.. My mother has an 05 base model with 80k on it and its never had anything done to it mechanically.. Its been a great car. I do agree that the interiors do leave something to be desired but overall solid vehicle. I don't have first hand experiences with the GTP's though.

I have a 2006 Lacrosse (same W-body platform), with the 3.8 non-supercharged. I really like the engine, and would love to have a supercharged one. (Naturally aspirated has plenty of power, 200Hp and 230 lb/ft of torque). I think the supercharged is 260 HP. I would go for the car, especially with under 100k miles. You'll probably get decent mpgs and will be able to beat most people out of a stoplight if you want. The cars have their issues, like all cars do, but they are well documented and not outrageous to fix. Just get it looked over, especially the suspension (have it put up on a lift) and the transmission. Take it out on a "spirited" test drive and see if anything abnormal happens. If it passes inspection and your test drive, I'd go for it. It's one of the cars I want to own someday. And with the 3.8 the car should serve you well! good luck!

Last edited:
Are aware premium gas is recommended and running anything else detunes the engine via it's knock sensor. A co-worked had a late 90's GTP coupe that the transmission went out on. He installed some sort of pulley to add boost and got it into the 13's at National Trails Raceway.

Not one of GM's best periods for high quality design. The engine will run forever, but the small things/small details will be specifically designed to be cheap (and flimsy).

They're decent cars if they've been maintained okay. The 4T65-HD on those is a bit of a sore spot. It was at its limits at the official power ratings of 260 hp/280 torque. Those ratings were often a bit low.

The rest of the car has the typical mid-00's GM interior quality. Not stellar, not total garbage either. Stuff will work, although some of the buttons and switches might need an extra-hard press.

The aftermarket and support is great. GM made a few million W-bodies and 3800's, so odds are somebody's already overcome your specific issue and posted about how to fix it.

Wow... such divergent opinions.

I owned one for 5 years, it was my work daily driver to plants and other industrial facilities. I put 260,000 kms on mine... rain, shine, blizzards. Mine was not the supercharged version. It was, without question, the best daily driver car I have ever owned. I also took it on vacations in that same period to the West Coast. It was comfortable, efficient (30 MPG Imperial), handled very well and did not cost me a dime beyond oil changes, one transmission fluid change, one windshield, 3 air filters, 1 set of plugs and two sets of tires (plus 1 winter set). That is it... period. Not even a battery... or anything else. Most reliable and cheapest to maintain car I have ever owned. I used the lowest cost dino oil on sale, for the most part that means Shell Formula... probably 85% of the fills were that brand. Oil filters were $4 AC Delcos. Yes it was worn out at the end but it was probably the only car I ever owned that didn't deteriorate fast after the magic 160,000 kms. Everything worked until the end, cruise windows, AC but it was tired. I still cruise the classifieds and if I could find a time capsule (

I actually own an 04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G. I compare it to my good friends 04 Camry at work. I think they are both just as quiet and drive just as well.

Mine has been pretty good. I had to fix the heads up display.

Big things it will need are the valve cover gaskets, eventually wheel bearings. I have had to do one door lock. The supercharged cars are hard on the 4T65E, but for 2500 dollars you can get a real nice one that will last the life of the car if yours fails. I find the ride to be just fine when compared to other cars of the era. New stuff is just a lot better.

I like how mine handles. It is decent and torque steer is really not bad.

As far as switches needing an extra hard press? Not sure I understand. On my 3 W-body, 4th 3800. Put lots of miles on all of them. Never had that issue.

So when you look at the car see if you can get transmission history. Make sure the steering rack isn't making any noise. The 04 would clunk and an updated rack that had a Teflon coated piece would be installed. Make sure the valve cover gaskets are not leaking, but if you are handy that should not be a deal breaker. Other than that looks for other normal stuff. Remember no timing belt so that is a plus.

How much are they asking?

So, I drove it. It was during bad weather and we had slush/ice on the freeway, so I couldn't really get on it. I'll need to go back once the roads dry up. One thing I noticed is that the supercharger doesn't seem to light up at all unless you get on it... so, it drove like a regular 3800, except for about one second when I goosed it, carefully. But everything looks good, all the comfort stuff is fine. If I buy it some of the first projects I'll do are the supercharger oil and new spark plugs. Under the hood it looks spotless.

That sounds promising. Yeah it will run just like a N/A 3800 until you lay into.

Do you mind saying how much he is asking?

Well, 93K, real nice condition, leather, sunroof, etc., asking just under $7K, from a top-tier dealer. I hesitate a bit because other regions of the country seem to always be lower, and someone will come on here saying "I wouldn't pay $4k for that!" Having researched prices here for a month, this is about as good as it gets around here.

There is also an '06 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3l engine, 20K more miles, listed for $1000 more at a lesser dealer. I drove it and it is an absolute freight train on the freeway. I'm less enthusiastic about the color however. I should probably go with the 5.3l, but my heart is on the '04 GTP.

The 5.3 has it's own set of problems, not many, but it does have some. One thing will be that it eats transmissions when compared to the GTP.

Offer 6 for the GTP. I paid 8350 for mine with 55,000 miles on it about 3 years ago. They were asking 10200. They go for about what you are seeing around here too, so if you can get it for 6000 you are doing good. I would suggest you put 2500 aside for a transmission if you really want it and will like driving it.
You might not ever need it, but not knowing the history that would be my only concern. The rest of the car is standard GM fair. It is cheap and easy to fix.

How handy are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back