Gold Foil Wrap on Exhaust to keep Drivetrain Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That product is not intended for direct contact with, or wrapping of, exhaust components.

thanks - suggested alternative? I think a lot of guys use that on their oil pans though

Header wrap on the exhaust pipes? The problem is that it will hold moisture and salt.
My buddy used header wrap on his snowmobile pipe when the aluminum heat shield disintergrated. It seems to work fine for reducing the underhood temperatures.

how about on the drivetrain components themselves? diff, t-case, trans

Originally Posted By: kyoo
how about on the drivetrain components themselves? diff, t-case, trans

They will burn themselves up as they need their surface area uncovered for dissipating internal heat.
Do you have any reason to think they are over heating anyways? Unless you are lapping a very small slow track, I'd think that the normal air flow would keep temps reasonable.

not necessarily - I do autox and road race a lot, sometimes in the dead heat of the summer. transmission has been known to die from overheating, i.e. 4th gear can break. I'm just doing all I can to protect the car.

from what you say, sounds like what would be ideal is an aluminum heat shield around the exhaust

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyoo
thanks - suggested alternative?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-wrap

I used some of this material on the right-hand downpipe and exhaust pipe forward of the right muffler on my '66 Polara because radiated heat onto the fuel line was contributing to vapor lock. Its been on there 7-8 years now and took care of the issue. Ideally header wrap on the exhaust combined with a metal shield between the pipe and whatever you're trying to keep cooler (to block radiant heat still coming off the wrap once the whole system gets hot) would be best.

thanks for the info!

just found this as well:

http://www.amazon.com/010301-Black-High-Temperature-Silicone-Coating/dp/B000MY3ML8/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GDpkQm-rL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ZMCRRP6FKCQBMPBKNVJ

so I can wrap on, then spray to cover I guess

Last edited:
Dude....scarf some heat shield material off of late model cars in a boneyard and fabricate your own with SS clamps or self tapping screws. Not rocket science

Last edited:
seems I'd do better to buy that DEI exhaust wrap and spray it sealed?

The heat shield would work better I think. It blocks the radiant heat and allows for air circulation.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The heat shield would work better I think. It blocks the radiant heat and allows for air circulation.

apparently that dei wrap really blocks heat from dissipating. if I do the whole exhaust, stands to reason that the entire underbody of the car would be much cooler, no?

Probably. Beware the heat coming out the tailpipe though. And it will corrode the pipes faster.

Probably. Beware the heat coming out the tailpipe though. And it will corrode the pipes faster.

as in the metal to metal reaction, that may corrode my exhaust?

and are you saying the heat of exhaust gases coming out of the tailpipe will be greater since it's not able to dissipate?

No the two layers will trap moisture and then corrode the steel. Yes the temps of the exhaust gasses if fully warped would be dangerous. Melted bumpers and burnt legs come to mind.

No the two layers will trap moisture and then corrode the steel. Yes the temps of the exhaust gasses if fully warped would be dangerous. Melted bumpers and burnt legs come to mind.

thanks - thought the former was what the silicone spray was for. and probably then what the best solution is in this scenario is to only partially wrap the exhaust?

I have heat wrapped 454 headers and motorcycle headers. It will bring down temps. Less heat is lost so more velocity is maintained going out the pipe. This helps evacuate the cylinders better. I usually just wrap the headers from the collector forward to the tube flanges. then fab aluminum heat shields to keep radiant heat off individual components. If you use stainless pipe no worries about corrosion.

Last edited:
The silicone will not help the steel.

You can make your own heat shields out of steel water heater exhaust pipe and some hose clamps.

Get a clamp big enough for the pipe. Drill a hole in the band and put a small bolt through it long enough to get a good offset from the ex pipe. Secure the bolt to the clamp with a nut. Use double nuts to hold the shield where you want it clearance wise.

I made this for an oil filter like that.

oil-filter-shield-and-chain-2.jpg

You could have your exhaust heat coated at a specialty shop. Except for the cat, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back